Stove Move and Rewire

Old 09-12-06, 06:01 PM
Stove Move and Rewire

Lots of questions about stoves lately - here's another one!

We are getting a new stove that will be moved approx. 10 feet further from the existing location. The current connection is a 40 amp, 3 wire circuit (8/3 wire). I need to put in a 4-wire circuit, only needs to be 30 amp (it's a "dual fuel" stove - gas burners and electric oven).

Rather than running all new wire back to the service panel, can I just run a ground wire back to the panel, then run new wire from a junction box to the new location ? We have a full, unfinished basement underneath the kitchen, so the junction box will always be accessible.

With the high cost of electrical wire now, I need to save some $$$ anywhere I can.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-06, 06:15 PM
ok so you hve currently 8/3 with no ground?

By code (local codes may differ) but i beleive that NEC presides in this instance. Considering this a remodel you can extend the exsisting wire but you cannot add to the existing wire and then extend it (if that makes sense) let me clarify...If you had 8/3/wg you could just run more 8/3/wg...however if you only have 8/3 you cannot just run a ground and then extend all of that farther...Someone will correct me if i am mistake but i believe i am correct here...

At any rate I would run a new wire just because i do not like junctions on something that size pulling that many amps. Yes it costs more but if there's time to do it over there is time to do it right the first time.

Old 09-12-06, 06:22 PM
If I want to switch this to a 30 amp circuit, can I switch to a lighter cable ? (like 10/3 w/ground)

Old 09-12-06, 06:27 PM
10/3/wg is appropriate for 30 amps. Do make sure that your oven configuration is for only 30 amps. (don't forget, when you hook up your oven make sure the ground and neutral and separated (installation instructions will explain)

You will still need to run a new "homerun" from the panel

Old 09-12-06, 06:36 PM
Well, hopefully it is - according to the manufacturer's website, it only needs a 30 amp circuit. I'll let the delivery guys handle hooking it up; it's a bit of a "special" stove. It's actually designed to look antique (like 100 years old), but it's all brand new. For the price ($ 7,000), I'll make sure they hook it up correctly.

Old 09-12-06, 06:48 PM
Good luck and any other questions give a holler..

Old 09-12-06, 07:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you re-route the existing cable?
Get a quote from the "delivery guys", you may be able to get the wire,and install for less yourself.once they start you'r bound.

i'm no lawyer, Make sure it's all legal, any problems insurance may need documentation.

Not me, Just the world we live in.

What time is dinner, Should be some good stuff comming out.
Enjoy!!!

Old 09-12-06, 07:26 PM
Hell, for $7 grand I'd take a Viking or Garland six burner with a griddle any day.
Yikes!

Yes, please be very wary of "delivery guys". Many have no clue and can do more damage than good.

Old 09-12-06, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
Can you re-route the existing cable?
Get a quote from the "delivery guys", you may be able to get the wire,and install for less yourself.once they start you'r bound.

i'm no lawyer, Make sure it's all legal, any problems insurance may need documentation.

Not me, Just the world we live in.

What time is dinner, Should be some good stuff comming out.
Enjoy!!!
No, no option to re-route the existing cable. Plus, it's only a 3-wire circuit anyways, and the new stove needs a 4-wire circuit. I'll take care of all the electrical - the delivery guys just need to plug it into the new outlet.

I'm not worried about the delivery. This is from a good, locally-owned small-town dealer. Plus, we are getting a new fridge and dishwasher ($10k in appliances total, so delivery was free).

This is for a complete kitchen remodel in a 1895 Victorian (on the National Register of Historic Places). Anxious to get our kitchen back - right now all we have is a utility tub for a sink and a 3 burner apartment stove in the middle of the kitchen (where the wire comes through the floor)...

Old 09-12-06, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
Hell, for $7 grand I'd take a Viking or Garland six burner with a griddle any day.
Yikes!

Yes, please be very wary of "delivery guys". Many have no clue and can do more damage than good.
Ya gotta see the stove to understand why it's so damn expensive (although I think it's still too much money). But, ya gotta get what the wife wants - it will really be the focal point of the new kitchen.

You can see it here: www.elmirastoveworks.com

Old 09-12-06, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
Yikes!

BTW - I really think your tagline is great! I agree regarding Charles Schulz and Chuck Jones. I actually took an "Animation Art" class back in college and loved every minute of it.

Old 09-12-06, 07:47 PM
Thumbs up

Swallman; I know where your comming from. My dads house is 1780s', You should see the crap they spent their money on!!!

WOW!!
Again enjoy! Thanks for preserving it.