Getting pwer from a switch for a new plug...

Old 09-12-06, 09:19 PM
Getting pwer from a switch for a new plug...

Here is what I have in my kitchen in the electical box there are three wires (red, black, blue) the blue wire goes to the top of the first switch that controls the lights. The red wire goes the the top of the other switch that controls the fan. The black wire goes to a marrett and then branches off into 2 other black wires that attach to the bottom of both switches. What I want to do is run wire off of this to a new outlet lower on the same wall. How can I do this with the switches still controlling the lights and fan but keeping a constant power to the new outlet. I hope this is clear.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-06, 03:24 AM
You cant legaly do this in the US. Judging by some of your terms you are not. Where do you live. This part matters.

Old 09-13-06, 05:30 AM
As Jeff stated, this wold not be legal in the US. Where are you located (update yopur profile).

Second, unless there are other wires in the box, you don't have the proper wires to do this.

Old 09-13-06, 06:16 AM
Red face

According to the (USA) National Electrical Code, all of the general use receptacles in a kitchen have to be on a small appliance branch circuit . There are (a minimum of) two 20A small appliance branch circuits required for each kitchen and all of the (120V) kitchen counter and wall mounted receptacles in that kitchen have to be powered by one of these circuits. The circuits can have no other outlets (such as lighting fixtures).
This rule prohibits you adding a receptacle to your kitchen (or any other) lighting circuit and place that receptacle in the kitchen, dining room, pantry, breakfast room, etc. You also can't add a receptacle outlet to any other branch circuit (other than a small appliance) and place that receptacle in the kitchen, dining, etc.
NEC 210.52(B)(1), (2), & (3) and 210.11(C).
That's the rule as I read and apply it.
steve
Edited for spelling

Last edited by hillbilly ace; 09-13-06 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-13-06, 06:38 AM
You don't have a neutral wire. You can't do it even it you wanted to without adding new wires.
Sounds like you have conduit and adding new wires would not be a problem. Since you need to add a neutral wire, if you add a hot wire as well then you have new circuit which would meet code.