Remotrol--unknown fuse box problem

Old 09-13-06, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remotrol--unknown fuse box problem

My home was built in the early 70s. The wiring from the circuit breaker for the exterior lights goes first from the breaker to a box, then from the box to the exterior lights. The box has the following information on the cover: Midwest Electric Products, Inc., REMOTROL, 120 volt A.C. 60 CY R-45-WP 10 amp. In the inside, in addition to the wiring connections, is a 15 amp Type S fuse, and a black push button. To turn on the lights, you have to turn the wall toggle switch to ON twice. I have never understood why, but didnt bother to ask. The fuse in the box is intact, and the black button in the box can also toggle the lights.
I have never understood the purpose of the box, but didn't care as long as the lights worked. But now, when the lights are turned on, there is a loud hum, so I leave it off all the time. The starting of the loud hum coincided when I was removing a bulb and the circuit breaker tripped. When that happened, I replaced the entire fixture with a new, but the hum persisted.

What is this box? What does it do? Are there replacements for it? Or do I just remove it from the circuit? Two inquiries on this to the manufacturer have gone unanswered.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-06, 12:30 PM
A guess would be that this some sort of unit for timing. Perhaps hitting the switch once would turn the light on for some period of time, say 15 minutes, and twice turns it on until you manually turn it off.

But who cares. If you don't know what it is, then just get rid of it.

Old 09-13-06, 02:27 PM
sounds like a low voltage lighting control system.

I do not know them so someone else will have to chime in on the fix.

Old 09-14-06, 10:49 AM
The timer thing may be the answer, and as you say, probably best to just eliminate it from the circuit. I will take a look at that this weekend and see if I run into anyother problems. Still wondering why the manufacturer was unresponsive. Thanks.

Old 09-14-06, 11:42 AM
REMOTROL = REMOte conTROL?

Doesn't sound like a low-voltage system. It does sound like an unnecessary (and possibly failing) timer. Bypass it.