moonbounce fan/motor not working?!

Old 09-13-06, 09:09 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question moonbounce fan/motor not working?!

hey friends

i have no idea how to fix this or where to take it...i bought my kid a big moonbounce last year and over the weekend the fan/motor stopped working...it came on for 10 seconds and cut off...i hit the reset button on the cord..thats not it...i didnt see any fuse anywhere...the company that made it (in Candada) just wants us to give them $200 for a new motor to be sent to us...the whole thing only cost $300 when i bought it a year ago...any ideas on what i can do or where to take it?

thanks
bam

Old 09-13-06, 09:38 AM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
What is a "moonbounce"?
Is there a warrantee?
Need more info to help.
Thanks!

Old 09-13-06, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I would see if there's a local shop that repairs electric motors. I would think you could get it fixed for less than $200 provided it's not totally smoked.

I'm sure he's talking about the big inflatable playhouses with big bouncy floors; I usually call them moonwalks.

Old 09-13-06, 10:20 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I would guess - maybe wrongly - that this is an outside device. Where is it plugged in? Outside receptacles are GFCI controlled. Have you tried plugging a light into the recept to assure you have power?

Old 09-13-06, 11:05 AM
B
Angry some answers to your questions

yes the moonbounce is an outside thing for kids ot jump around in...its big...holds like 6 kids

here's alink to something similar, but our is alot bigger, but you can see part of the motor in hte background

http://www.spinmaster.com/products/bounceRound/productsview.jsp?key=189

my wife called the manufacturer..i guess the warranty expired..a.gain, then want to send us a new motor but we need to pay $140 + plus another $40 shipping

goldstar....its not the outlet, yes, i plugged a lamp into the extension cords we had running out and i also took just the motor/fan ot the garage and plugged in a working outlet

Old 09-13-06, 12:27 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Somewhere on the motor it should tell you its frame. This number tells motor mfgs how the bolts line up and the shaft etc.

Get the frame number, voltage, amperage, speed, hp and call any motor distributer and find out what they would charge for a new motor.

Granger, and Mc Master Carr come to mind, but all motor distributers use the same info to size motors.

For either of the two above, you may need to purchase using your companies name, but the will take your personal credit card or check for payment, (and of coarse cash) so you can use the company name for the purchase and your own money.

Old 09-13-06, 12:56 PM
B
motor markings

jwhite..thanks

it does say this:

model H-4 air fan and electrical rating of 115V, 60Hz, 5.4A

Old 09-13-06, 01:55 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BMeadBam
jwhite..thanks

it does say this:

model H-4 air fan and electrical rating of 115V, 60Hz, 5.4A
I was hopefull for more motor data, but call with what you have and see if you can find a replacement from a local distributor.

Old 09-13-06, 03:18 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Just to throw out a plan "B" if you have no luck with fixing or exact replacement. These blowers are also used for advertising inflatables and look a lot like the blowers used for ventilating areas such as sewers when workers are present. One of these if powerful enough might work as a replacement.

A quick look at Grainger's catalog index shows lots of blowers listed. One might just do the job.

Old 09-14-06, 08:06 AM
"it came on for 10 seconds and cut off...i hit the reset button on the cord.."

What reset button on the cord? Have you tested to see if power is getting to the motor? I suspect there's a built-in GFCI that may have malfunctioned or a loose/broken connection between "the button on the cord" and the motor.

Doug M.

Old 09-14-06, 06:44 PM
B
hey dougm

the attached cord that came with the blower has a built-in reset/test button on the end near the plug

how would i see if power is gettng to the motor....i dont hear anything if thats what u mean

bmeadbam

Old 09-14-06, 08:07 PM
put a VOM on it

Old 09-15-06, 06:32 AM
"put a VOM on it"

Yup. Do you have any type of voltage tester? If not, can you remove the old cord and put on a different one?

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: