Arching wire at incoming service?

Old 09-14-06, 04:26 AM
Arching wire at incoming service?

So I was awaken around 5am by a loud popping noise. At first I thought it was my dog banging but after like the fourth time I got up to investigate. Once I got up it happened again but this time I saw a flash of light outside my bedroom window. So I continue to watch and it happens again. So I run outside to where the incoming service is and it happens again. I call the POCO and they say, ok you have full power but arching at the incoming wires. I will put your call in but its going to be at little since there are power outages that they are responding to right know. So should I call the fire dept? and they say if you feel its a fire hazard. So I shut off the main breaker but had to turn it back since we need to get ready for work and school.

Weather: raining. winds calm
There is a tree that that runs up to the wires and around them. No damaged branches or anything that looks different.
The wires are attached to the house with nothing that looks out of the ordinary.
No burn marks on the side of the house or flashing at the roof. At least I don't see any.

Still waiting for the POCO to come. Any ideas of the problem and should I cut the main power? As of right know the arching has not occurred for about 45min. Its till raining. Could the sheathing on the cabled be damaged causing this? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-06, 05:46 AM
Cut the power and call them back and remind them you are still waiting. Yours is considered an outtage, too, until it is safe.

Trees should NEVER have been allowed to grow around your wires. Here, the Power Company will trim the trees for you, at least for the main lines from pole to pole.

But make sure they are trimmed by a licensed contractor that does work near power lines as part of their business.

When your power isn't safe, you should learn to live without it until it is safe. Getting ready for work is not an excuse for starting a fire.

Old 09-14-06, 05:52 AM
Mac, thank you. I have called back and they are still busy. So I'm sitting around waiting and monitoring thepower lines. I haven't seen or heard a problem since that last post. But you are right. I will go cut the power and continue to wait. Thanks.

Old 09-14-06, 12:38 PM
Still no PoCo!! Damn utitities!!! I called them 5 times!! I guess power outages are more important than something that can light the house on fire?

Old 09-14-06, 12:45 PM
At least it isn't the middle of July still...

Old 09-14-06, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So long as the arcing is outside of the weatherhead, suspended in the air above your yard, there is little danger of starting a house fire in my opinion. Even if the wires melted in half, they will land on wet grass and smolder a little bit.

Leave your main breaker off, and there will be little danger to the house. A bigger concern is damage to appliances with the breaker on. Wacky voltages can cause major damage to your appliances if you leave them on through power disturbances.

Old 09-14-06, 01:06 PM
Well the guy just showed up. My fater inlaw was there from 10:30 and left about an hour ago. So my step-son is there and the Poco is talking to my wife on the phone. She said he didn't sound very happy. Just waiting to see what he finds. I'll let you know.

Old 09-14-06, 01:48 PM
Just Pop Open A Fresh Beer And Get Back To Finishing The Tile On Your Bathroom...

Old 09-14-06, 06:40 PM
Talking

This weekend bonerboy