Service Entrance Wire Problem?

Old 09-14-06, 03:42 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Service Entrance Wire Problem?

When the central air in the house was turned on it knocked out power to a few rooms in the house, not all. Turned off air conditioner and the power company came out and I think they did something with service entrance wire that restored power to all rooms. They said it was up to owner to complete(?) the repair. I wasn't there at the time. Air Conditioner has not been turned on since then. Where do you think my problem originated, with the air conditioner or the service entrance wire? Who should be called, an electrician to repair something with the service entrance or an air conditioning repairman? I don't understand why it knocked the power out in only a few rooms and not the whole house.

Old 09-14-06, 03:51 PM
R
Call the power company and find out what they did and what YOU need to do.

They would not have touched your air conditioner.

There are several possibilities, none of them are particularly nice.

I suspect a problem with your incoming service wires. They made a temporary fix, and you need an electrician to make a permanent repair.

Old 09-15-06, 08:35 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The power company's responsiblity stops at the weatherhead on your service mast. They probably noticed a problem below the level of the weatherhead, but were not obligated (or even allowed) to fix it. You need to hire an electrician to evaluate and repair the problem.

Old 09-15-06, 10:30 AM
P
If the problem is a defective connection in the Service Conductors, the only way to de-energize the S-C's is to open the connections at the point where the Utility cable connects the house.

If a plumber is searching for a hidden leak in a water-line, it's done with the water flowing thru the line. Somewhat similiar is an electrician who sometimes locates a defective connection with current flowing thru the conductors.

The point- you need an electrician to work on "live" conductors that can't easily be de-energized for safey concerns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: