Wall switch problem

Old 09-15-06, 04:46 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wall switch problem

Hi there.....great forum !!

I have 2 wall switches near my entrance that light up 2 different fixtures. When I flick on switch #1, it turns on fixture #1 (which is fine) While switch #1 is still in the 'ON' position, I turn on switch #2 and that turns on fixture #2 (which is also fine)

My problem is when I turn off switch #1, both fixtures (1 & 2) will turn off, rendering switch #2 useless. I am assuming that the live feed runs straight to switch #1, but my question is......how can I wire this properly so that each switch/fixture will function normally?
Thanks for any help

Old 09-15-06, 05:10 AM
R
The switches are wired wrong. To rpovide you a proper answer, tell us ALL thw wires in the switch box. Tell us what cables they come from and how they are connected to anything else.

Old 09-15-06, 05:20 AM
V
miswired feed

The feed to SW2 should tie to the feed coming into the SW1 box, but not at the output terminal of SW1. In short, the feed to SW2 is coming from the wrong side of SW1.

Old 09-15-06, 05:58 AM
T
racraft: Thanks for your quick reply.....I haven't pulled the plate off yet, but I will tonight when I get home from work and get back to you.

volts: Thank you as well for the reply. So, if I am to understand you correctly, the wires on the terminals of switch #1 are backwards?

Old 09-15-06, 06:09 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
When you open the switch you will find two wires connect to one of the screws on switch one. Move one of the wires to connect with the wrie on the screw. One of two things will happen. it will work properly and you are done. OR the first light will not turn off. You got the wrong wire inthat case. Just swap the wire back and use the other wire.

You NOT are allowed two wire under one screw so there should be wire nut with the wires and a pig tail. Swap the single wire with one of the wires in the pigtail wire nut.

[edited to add missing word NOT that is very important]

Last edited by racraft; 09-15-06 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-15-06, 06:10 AM
R
The wires on switch one are not backwards. A single pole switch has no "input" or "output", until you connect up the wires.

The problem you have is that switch number 2 is fed from the switched side of switch number 1 instead of from the input side of switch number 1.

If you simply reverse the wires on switch one you will have the same problem.

You need to determine the hot wire that supplies power to the switches. The hot wire needs to be connected to one terminal on both switches. This is usually done with a wire nut and two pigtails.

The two wires that take switched power to the lights then get connected to the other terminal on each switch, one per switch.

As I said, we can help you figure this out if you tell us how all thwe wires are presently connected.

Old 09-15-06, 08:41 AM
T
[QUOTE=joed]When you open the switch you will find two wires connect to one of the screws on switch one. Move one of the wires to connect with the wrie on the screw. One of two things will happen. it will work properly and you are done. OR the first light will not turn off. You got the wrong wire inthat case. Just swap the wire back and use the other wire.

QUOTE]

So if I understand ou correctly, switch #1 will have 2 wires on one of the terminals. I remove one of those wires and put it on the other terminal of switch#1?

Old 09-15-06, 09:02 AM
R
There are many possibilities. It's possible that switch number 1 has only one wire per terminal, and that it is switch number two that has two wires on one of it's terminals. It's also possible that neither switch has two wires directly on one terminal.

Again, look at what you have and report back. We'll sort it out then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: