Dead switch/outlet in garage

Old 09-15-06, 02:08 PM
Smile Dead switch/outlet in garage

How do I find out where the problem starts with no power to the switch or outlet in my garage? How do I track down where the problem starts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-06, 02:23 PM
If you want us to help you need to start at the beginning. What, if anything, did you do? Is this an existing setup that has always been in place? Has anything changed? How did you test for power at the RECEPTACLE?

How did you test for power at the switch? Is the switch related to the receptacle? What does the switch control? On the same circuit? Different circuit?

Are the switch and receptacle in the same box?

Is anything else on the same circuit dead?

Have you opened the box(es) to check anything yet?

Old 09-15-06, 02:31 PM
Being a garage I would start by looking for a tripped GFCI. One receptacle could protect allthe garage. That receptacle could be inthe garage, outside or in a bathroom. It is usually behind the pile of boxes or fridge that hasn't moved in years.

Old 09-15-06, 03:18 PM
Once you've determined that it is not a tripped GFI (if it is not tripped), my next step would be to replace the outlet itself. It's cheap and easy. Often times, the outlets just go bad. I had outlets tripping in my house (my house was built in 98' and this was last year) for no apparent reason so I just replaced them and they've been perfect ever since. The receptacle part at Lowes or Home Depot can be as cheap as $2. Just make sure to kill the power to that outlet before you start replacing it! If you're not sure how to kill power to that particular outlet, shut off the main power to the house. It's better to be safe than fried. Good luck!

Steve

Old 09-15-06, 03:34 PM
Replacing a RECEPTACLE to attempt to solve a problem is cheap and fairly easy.

However, doing so without determining if the receptacle is the problem is usually a waste of both time and money.

It's just too easy to test the power entering the receptacle not to do so.

Old 09-15-06, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by fsufan8
If you're not sure how to kill power to that particular outlet, shut off the main power to the house.
If you're not sure how to kill power to a certain receptacle, shame on you for not knowing which circuits control which receptacles in your house. This could be life-saving information for any homeowner.

Old 09-15-06, 04:06 PM
Talking

Thanks for stealing my thunder Mac.

Old 09-15-06, 04:58 PM
Talking

It was always one of my favorite of your lines...