Splice

Old 09-15-06, 06:21 PM
Splice

I have an unfinished area in my basement where I can access some wires I need to get to. There is a 120v, 2 wire romex line that I need to cut so I can get a lead for my smoke detector. The romex runs parallel to some of my house's water supply (copper pipes). Is there a problem with me cutting the romex when it is near the water lines? I was going to mount a 4x4 on the top rafter and put a cover on it. Will that be fine?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-06, 06:30 PM
As long as you have enough slack in the line to put the entire splice into a properly mounted, accessible junction box, I don't see a problem with your plan.

Old 09-15-06, 06:56 PM
You need one foot of slack in the line to simply cut it. This because you need six inches of cable inside the box to make the connections. If you do not have enough slack, then you can cut it, install two junction boxes and add a short piece of cable to go between the boxes.

Concern 1: If this is truly "two wire romex" then you cannot use this circuit. To use this circuit you must have three wires, a hot, a neutral and a ground. You are not allowed to extend an ungrounded circuit.

Concern 2: Make sure this is not a switch loop you will be trying to tap. If this is a switch loop you won;t be able to get power from it.

Old 09-15-06, 07:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also, if it is to a smoke detector, do you have others on the other floors of the house? Are they hardwired? If they are hardwired, you have to hardwire this one to them using 14-3 so they will all go off if one goes off.