Can not turn off the light

Old 09-16-06, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can not turn off the light

I am installing a hanging lamp in the dinning room. There are two light switches that I believe turn on the light, the main one is in the kitchen area.

The wires coming out of the ceiling box are two black, two white and one red. My tester lights up touching one of the blacks and one of the white wires. But nothing touching the other black and other white. So I connected my lamp cord(clear yelllowish wire) to these two hot wires and got light, only problem is...I can't turn off the light. So I wrapped both blacks and both whites together and got the same result. Maybe the red wire is the turn off wire. So I attached that to the two black wires, same result. So I opened the switch plate and located the red wire. This switch is next to the flourescent light switch in the same switch box in the kitchen. The flourescent is working fine. I tested the exposed wires on the switch and got nothing. Went to the other switch found no red wire. Test these wires and got nothing.
Perhaps the box is wired for a fan.
Called Home Depot and the electrical person said it sounded like I have a 3 way switch and you may have to rewire the entire system for that light box. Any thouhghts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-06, 09:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
DISCONNECT THE POWER 1st.
What wires went to the fixture that you took down?
These are the ones that go to the new one. A NEW fixture does not constitute new wireing.If it worked before it will work again, HUMAN error
My guess would be... The ribbed or identified wire from the fixture goes to the 2-whites in the box, The other from the fixture goes to the red.

Old 09-16-06, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I am installing a hanging lamp in the dinning room. There are two light switches that I believe turn on the light, the main one is in the kitchen area.

The wires coming out of the ceiling box are two black, two white and one red. My tester lights up touching one of the blacks and one of the white wires. But nothing touching the other black and other white. So I connected my lamp cord(clear yelllowish wire) to these two hot wires and got light, only problem is...I can't turn off the light. So I wrapped both blacks and both whites together and got the same result. Maybe the red wire is the turn off wire. So I attached that to the two black wires, same result. So I opened the switch plate and located the red wire. This switch is next to the flourescent light switch in the same switch box in the kitchen. The flourescent is working fine. I tested the exposed wires on the switch and got nothing. Went to the other switch found no red wire. Test these wires and got nothing.
Perhaps the box is wired for a fan.
Called Home Depot and the electrical person said it sounded like I have a 3 way switch and you may have to rewire the entire system for that light box. Any thouhghts?[/QUOTE]

Old 09-17-06, 05:52 AM
As was stated, if this worked before you should have connected the new light to the same wires that were connected to the old light. Nothing else.

You either have three way switch setup and/or you have a setup that could support a fan and light combination. The location of the switches and the identification of the room these are in would be helpful.

In order for us to help you we need a COMPLETE inventory of the wiring at the light, and at each the switch. Be thorough. Do not disconnect any wires at the switches.

Tell us how many cables enter the box, what color wires are in the cable and where those wires connect. Tell us which two you think have power on them all the time. Identify every cable, even if you do not think they are important.
Also tell us where in the room the switches are located.