old flasher box

Old 09-18-06, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile old flasher box

many years ago Dad built a flasher box for flashing Christmas tree lights and the like. I have it now, but it doesn't work. When I plug the lights in to it, they stay on steady, no flashing, flickering, etc. I would like to find a way to repair it, but I have no idea where Dad found the plans for it. Please help. Thanks, DavidC.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-06, 02:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you opened the box? What is inside? Does it contain a motor and switches or a circuit board or both or what?

Old 09-19-06, 02:55 AM
they used to make flashers that could be easily installed for things like this. Some screwed into a standard light bulb socket. (edison base)

If you open the box you will find some kind of flasher. the next trick will be to find the replacement part.

Old 09-19-06, 04:27 AM
The box probably relies on heat to shut the circuit off. As current would flow, heat would build up. When the heat reached a certain level the circuit would open. Then the circuit would cool off and would turn on again.

New lights (the small ones) do not use enough current to cause the circuit to work. You would need to find the old fashioned strings of lights to make the flasher work.

The other alternative is to buy a flasher that does not rely on circuit heat.

Old 09-19-06, 08:54 PM
Smile old flasher box

Originally Posted by ray2047
Have you opened the box? What is inside? Does it contain a motor and switches or a circuit board or both or what?
inside is a rotary switch and a circuit board, with 2 ceramic resistors of 1K and 10K ohms, 4 different resistors, one diode, 2 orange cylindrical devices with Sprague ATOM 'LYTIC TVA 1308 and 1412. There is a sticker on the back of the rotary switch with CentraLab on it. By the looks of this it was built from do-it-yourself plans or a kit. Dad passed away back in July of '04 so I can't ask him anything about it. I remember using it for 100watt light bulbs when I was a kid setting up a jack-o-lantern. Thanks for any assistance, DavidC