Supplying power to my garage

Old 09-19-06, 05:01 AM
Question Supplying power to my garage

Hello, I am planning to supply power to my garage but do not want to come from my consumer unit as it means routing cable through my recently decorated lounge. So my plans are to spur off my 32amp cooker cable which is on the outer wall of the house and fit a consumer unit in the garage with 32amp fuse for the sockets and 6amp fuses for the outside lighting. Is this the right idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-06, 05:28 AM
Generally speaking this is the wrong idea. But I think you already knew that.

Old 09-19-06, 07:57 AM
What country are you in? I'm thinking from your terminology, you're not in North America. You should probably describe your setup in more detail. If the 'cooker cable' is already supplying loads inside your house, it would probably be a bad idea to splice into it and power the garage from it. Is the garage attached or detached from the house? And why is a cable that provides power for an electric cooktop (I'm assuming this is what's meant by 'cooker cable') being run on the outside of the house, instead of indoors?

Old 09-20-06, 10:42 AM
The Cooker circuit is dedicated to the cooker. You will need to run a cable from your CU to the shed, of the appropriate size and construction.