Outdoor Outlet Height

Old 09-19-06, 08:08 AM
Question Outdoor Outlet Height

I am installing an outdoor outlet that I plan on attaching to a 4x4 post buried 2 ft into the ground. I have read there is a 12" min - 18" max height requirement for a freestanding outlet. Is this requirement the same when the junction box is connected to a 4x4 post? I would like to install the junction box @ 6" above ground. I have run the wire in pvc. THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-06, 08:23 AM
There is no minimum height restriction on general use outdoor receptacles in residential applications. If they're one of the two (1 in front, 1 in back of the residence) required by the electrical code (210.52(E) they can't be over 6'-6" above grade level.
They must be Ground fault protected with very few exceptions.
What are you going to use this receptacle for?
steve

Old 09-19-06, 08:25 AM
There are some requirements for height of "requred " outlets. Any additional outlets that you install have no such requrements.

I am not familiar with any code requiring an outlet be installed on a post outside. Therfore..... (figure this one out )

If this outlet is for some special purpose not mentioned.. like a hot tub or pool.. then let us know. It matters.

Old 09-19-06, 10:36 AM
This outlet will NOT be used for a pool , but will be a general use outlet located @ 6ft from pool edge, under a wooden deck(if this location is ok as I believe the wooden deck gives me additional distance). I ran a separate line to the pool pump using 12/2 UFB buried 18" in pvc, GFI outlet, located on the opposite end of a 30ft oval pool. The pool is not bonded YET. A tip on that would be appreciated as well as that will be coming up next.
THANKS SO MUCH

Old 09-19-06, 11:22 AM
Okay several things.

Assuming you are in the US.

UFB is not allowed for a pool. Pull it out and use THWN, making certain that the ground wire is insulated.

The recepcale you are installing is NOT allowed. Unless it is for the pool pump, it must be greater than ten feet from the pool.

There are many other thigns about pools that you also need to know.

Please, for your own safety, hirte a professional or at elast STOP and learn what you need to do. Electricity and water do not mix.

Old 09-20-06, 08:54 AM
A mistake on my last post- THWN 12 awg insulated was used outside for the pump motor. The 12-2 UFB is a separate line. Yes I know--DETAILS.

The bonding wire will be done next using 8 awg insulated wire connected to the lug on the pump motor, a bolt on the pool and ground rod driven into the ground in this area. Is the correct? This is a semi-inground pool with no lights.

As for my original question - Is the deck considered an "effective permanent barrier" (680-6 part (a)(3) therefore considered to be infinite distance or am I reaching?

If this is not the case then do I have any options to install an outlet in this location (ex. enclosure around the outlet) or should I just stay area from this area.

My attempt is safety first.
THANKS

Old 09-20-06, 10:25 AM
You do not need a ground rod at the pool. The bond wire is just that, a bond wire. It is NOT a grounding wire.

If the piump is within ten feet of the pool, then the GFCI receptacle must go. Within ten feet you need a twist lock plug and receptacle. You still need GFCI protection.

Do not put any outdoor receptacles except the pump receptacle within ten feet of the pool.

Old 09-21-06, 06:50 AM
Smile

(2005) NEC 680.22(A)(6) Measurements
In determining the dimensions in this section addressing receptacle spacings, the distance to be measured shall be the shortest path the supply cord of a appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor,wall,ceiling,doorway with hinged or sliding door,window opening, or other effective permanent barrier.

It's not a straight line distance in the required 10' measurement.
It (the receptacle) could be located less than 10' (straight line)
from the pool wall if it was on the other side of a wall or "permanent barrier", and if it would require a cord longer than 10' (around the barrier using the shortest route available) to reach from the inside wall of the pool to the receptacle, (without passing through this barrier).
I think that the intent is to prevent anyone from plugging in a radio, hair dryer, etc, and being able to reach it from the pool.
Most appliances have a 6' long (or less) cord, so it would not be possible.
If someone used a extension cord from this receptacle, they have in effect moved the receptacle closer than the code required 10' distance by the length of the extension cord.
You can't make something idiot proof.
steve

Old 09-21-06, 12:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am curious. Who told you to install a ground rod? Or did you just assume?

I hear this quite often and it amazes me that even licensed electricians get this wrong.

NO WHERE, ever, did/does it say you need a grounding electrode for pool bonding.
Like Bob said, this is BONDING not grounding.

Old 09-22-06, 09:32 AM
Thanks you all for helping to clear up the outlet issue. Water and electric does not mix so I will NOT try to prove otherwise.
As for the ground rod issue, I may have been infleunced by questions I read elsewhere asking where the bonding wire goes. Thanks for the clarity.