Wow! Exciting New Branch Circuit!!

Old 09-19-06, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow! Exciting New Branch Circuit!!

Okay, it's really not exciting, but I thought that might catch the eye. My ? is: if I run a new branch circuit to a room, and there are a total of 7 receptacles only, how do I run my wires? The room is already drywalled, and I have to fish the wires from each recepatacle up to the attic, where I will wire them all into the home run cable. Do I run the home run(is that the right term?) from the breaker box, to a junction box, then run Romex from each individual outlet, wire nutting them all together in one junction box, or can (or should)I use two junction boxes, for instance, running my home run cable to the first junction box, along with a few of the outlet wires, then run another piece of Romex to the other junction box, supplying it with power, then wire the remaining outlet wires to that junction box, so I won't have to try and connect ALL the outlet wires in one junction box? Or is there an easier, more practical way to run the wires. Any help is good. Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-06, 05:03 PM
You should have wired it before you drywalled. That;s the proper way to do it.

Run the cable to the first receptacle, then to the second, then to the third, etc. Fish both pieces of cable down the wall together and into the junction box.

Installing junction boxes in the attic is asking for trouble.

Old 09-19-06, 06:08 PM
I agree with Bob. Besides, the extra 7' of cable is cheaper and faster than all those junction boxes.

Old 09-19-06, 06:14 PM
racraft: Drywall already there. Remodel work. Want to replace old, worn wiring.(1953, no ground wire). Thanks for the advice. Junction boxes in attic? Chance of fire(?) more likely than in an a wall outlet?

Old 09-19-06, 06:32 PM
The junction boxes in the attic are more work than running the wires to the boxes, and they present more places for a failure to occur.

Old 09-19-06, 06:40 PM
MAC: added up the footage of wire used both ways. Not saving much doing it with junction boxes. Thanks for the encouragement to just go another 7 foot or so.

racraft: makes sense, thanks for the help.

Old 09-20-06, 06:20 AM
If these receptacles are being installed in a exterior wall and there's a crawlspace that you can get in to, I've found it a lot easier to run these types of circuits under the house.
If the walls are insulated, getting a wire down one is not that easy, plus drilling the hole into the top of the wall is not easy at all. Especially if you have a low roof pitch.
In the crawlspace you've got more flexibility about drilling at a angle and getting into the wall without messing up the interior (or exterior) finish of the house.
Just my 2 cents.
steve

Old 09-20-06, 04:19 PM
Thanks, Ace. The crawl space is WAY small, and I have a bit of the clostrophobia, if ya know what I mean. I was fortunately able to get some wires up through the top plate of the outside wall, just above my new 100 amp panel in the kitchen. Had to take off a piece of the drywall above the new box, then drilled up to the attic. In the attic, I was able to crawl on my belly and stick my hand way back to where the roof comes down on the wall, and pull up 5 new branch circuits. It was a tight fit, so thank goodness I've been on a diet for a while.

Just finished wiring my new garage. No insulation or drywall yet. Wow, it was easy, and even fun!!

Old 09-21-06, 05:35 AM
Smile

[QUOTE=Willg54]Thanks, Ace.
"In the attic, I was able to crawl on my belly and stick my hand way back to where the roof comes down on the wall, and pull up 5 new branch circuits. It was a tight fit, so thank goodness I've been on a diet for a while".

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
For added fun try it on a summer day in a ceiling that has blown-in (rockwool) insulation.
steve