New Fluorescent Fixture Trips GFCI Breaker

Old 09-19-06, 05:26 PM
New Fluorescent Fixture Trips GFCI Breaker

I bought two fluorescent shop lights to replace two incadescent lights in my garage. When I plug them in (I've tested both), they trip a 20 amp GFCI breaker. As info, the new shop lights are electronic, made by Lights of America, model 8045E. Ironically, I have three other shop lights (unknown maker) in my shed that work fine on a 15 amp GFCI breaker.

I'm trying to figure out why these new shop lights are tripping the GFCI breaker.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-06, 05:30 PM
Use an ohmmeter and see what the resistance is between the neutral terminal of the plug and the ground of the plug (with the unit NOT plugged in).

Also, try these in a regular GFCI receptacle, and see if they trip the GFCI.

Old 09-20-06, 02:45 AM
Racraft:

Thanks.

I did three tests based on your reply:
1) Checked ohms between ground and neutral prongs on the plug for one of the fluorescents: Results: 1 on my meter (or, no continuity).
2) Checked ohms between the ground and neutral slot (biggest slot) on a receptacle on the faulty circuit (after turning off the GFCI breaker): Results: 0.5 ohms.
3) Plugged one of the new shop lights into a receptacle on the other GFCI circuit at my home (I don't have any GFCI receptacles, just two GFCI circuit breakers): Results: Light worked normally.

My tentative conclusion: The GFCI breaker that is tripping is faulty. I remember replacing the other GFCI circuit breaker (the one the shop light works on) several years ago; but the faulty one hasn't been replaced since I bought this house about 5 years ago.

Thanks for your futher input on this.

Old 09-22-06, 03:07 AM
racraft: I'm updating this to get your attention so you will hopefully respond to my last posting. If you already have thought about it and don't know what the problem is, fine, I just want to check and see.

thanks,

Old 09-22-06, 04:32 AM
GFCI breakers can and do go bad. If this light works properly plugged into a GFCI receptacle, then you might try replacing the breaker.

Old 09-22-06, 05:12 PM
Thumbs up

racraft: Thanks for replying. I plan on going to Home Depot this weekend to get a replacement GFCI. Will let you know the results.