New construction service

Old 09-22-06, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New construction service

I have rebuilt a lakehome and kept the existing 3 car garage which contains a 200 amp panel. The garage is attached. the panel is on the oposite side of the garage from the house. approx. 39 feet. My question is should I run all my electrical from this box to the house or should I install a 100 amp box in the house, tapped off the 200 amp service in the garage?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-06, 12:35 PM
Do a load calculation on the house and decide what it needs. Then you will have a better idea of what to do.

Old 09-22-06, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
How big will the house be? What is the average and longest lengths of the runs in addition to the 40ft from house to garage panel?

Old 09-23-06, 06:28 AM
From purely a cost standpoint, you may want to install a (200A?) sub-panel in the house as near as you can legally (code wise) get to the largest loads in the house. You can feed it with SER aluminum cable and save a lot on (copper) wiring expense. All of your copper homeruns will be a lot shorter.
Every #12 homerun (50'?) will cost around $15-$25 (wire cost), and the HR's for the AC, range, waterheater, clother dryer and any other large load will cost much more. Keep them as short as possible.
steve

Old 09-23-06, 06:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Exclamation

How many ckts. In the garage panel now? It may be better to extend them into the house.
Change the existing 200A panel to a 200 A FUSED disconnect.Or Main breaker disco.
Run the SE cable (4 wire) to the relocated existing 200A panel, Treat the panel now as a sub panel, Coz it is now.

Last edited by lectriclee; 09-24-06 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-24-06, 09:44 AM
Depending on loading, I'd run a couple 60A subs for the convenience/general/small appliance circuits, and run the large 240V appliance loads directly from the main panel, as well as the garage and outside circuits.