Replacing A/C disconnect box

Old 09-23-06, 09:43 AM
Question Replacing A/C disconnect box

Hi, I have a couple questions and my husband and
I don't want to do this wrong. Is there anything special I need to know about replacing a non-fused 60A disconnect for outside AC unit, I have the correct replacement disconnect box, and I take it that I just wire it back up like the old one. Does involve anything else? Thanks for your help and advice.
Debbie

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-06, 09:52 AM
I am curious about what made it go bad, and what condition the old one is in.

As you said, changing it out is strieght foward, but depending on what made it fail, there could be other concerns.

Old 09-23-06, 09:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Make sure the new disconnect is FUSED,and is the right size. Most likely 30Amp @250Volt.On the name plate of the unit will list the MAX size fuse, use the fuse closest to this #. Make sure these fuses are "time delay" or "dual elliment.

The power from the house should go to "line" (typicaly the top).
The wires to the unit on "load".
Other than that it is a strieght change out.
Again FUSED disconnect.

Old 09-23-06, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=lectriclee]Make sure the new disconnect is FUSED/QUOTE]

Why. If the breaker is the correct type and size, this disconnect does not need to be fused.

there is no requirement to have overcurrent protection at the unit. a disconnecting means is all that is required. The breaker in the panel will serve as overcurrent protection.

Typicaly the line and load connections are all on top and one set is inside the other. I cant remember if it is line load load line or load line line load.

Old 09-23-06, 10:04 AM
Answer to questions

Originally Posted by jwhite
I am curious about what made it go bad, and what condition the old one is in.

As you said, changing it out is strieght foward, but depending on what made it fail, there could be other concerns.

Well, Our neighbor was involved in an incident about a month ago with the police chasing a suspect from another city to our neighborhood. The suspect bailed out in front of our house and the police fired at him and missed him and hit out house 3 times. The A/C disconnect box was hit on the bottom side corner. We had electrician came out and said the wiring was ok and not damaged. So we just need to replace the box.
Thanks again

Old 09-23-06, 10:09 AM
Answer to questions

Originally Posted by lectriclee
Make sure the new disconnect is FUSED,and is the right size. Most likely 30Amp @250Volt.On the name plate of the unit will list the MAX size fuse, use the fuse closest to this #. Make sure these fuses are "time delay" or "dual elliment.

The power from the house should go to "line" (typicaly the top).
The wires to the unit on "load".
Other than that it is a strieght change out.
Again FUSED disconnect.
We are replacing the box with the same type that is on there now. It is a non fused 60 amp. 240 volts, single phase, 10 HP max
Thanks, Debbie

Old 09-23-06, 10:10 AM
LOL well that is a new one for me...

I was worried about lightning or a short in the unit causing the disconnect to burn. In one of these cases the wire could also be dammaged.

You should be all good to go. Just make sure to compare where it says line and load from the old disconnect to the new one. Line is from your panel. Load is to your unit.

You cannot get the two lines or two loads backwards. If this is 240 volt that does not matter..

Be sure to ground the new disconnect properly. there should be terminals in there for this.

Old 09-23-06, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by catzcar
We are replacing the box with the same type that is on there now. It is a non fused 60 amp. 240 volts, single phase, 10 HP max
Thanks, Debbie
catzar read my responce above to lectriclees comment. He is mistaken.

Old 09-23-06, 10:15 AM
Smile Thanks again

Yes it was a new one for us too..we can smile about it now, when trying to explain it. I was worried about any underlying things we hadn't thought about that could be dangerous. Thanks again for the info, my husbands going to attempt this change out, I'll let you know how it goes. Debbie

Old 09-23-06, 10:23 AM
I forgot to mention the obvious which is to turn off power while working on this. But I think you already knew.

I also want to add that you are lucky only a few repairable items where dammaged. Thank God you and your family where not hurt.

Jeff

Old 09-23-06, 10:24 AM
Wink

3 times and missed. Thats my record today! I'm going back to bed!

Catzcar: I was mistaken, it in fact does NOT need to be fused.
Sorry.
Jwhite: reread 440.52 and others, I been wrong a long time,and have spent money foolishly.Thanks for calling me on it.

Last edited by lectriclee; 09-23-06 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-23-06, 10:32 AM
Thanks

Jeff, Your 100% right on that. I was the only one home, my husband Steven has just went to work that afternoon. One of the bullets came though the wall in the family room where I was on the phone with my mom at this time. It would have hit me if the A/C box hadn't deflected it, but it still came though the wall and went across the house to the dining room. One other went though our sunroom door screen and into the glass window and shattered it. The last one hit Stevens gas grill, just up from the propane tank. But I thank god everyday it wasn't worse. Just hard getting it all fixed so we can forget about it happening.
Thanks for the info and kind words.
We did know to turn off the power but I was worried if we needed to know something about the A/C capacitor. But my husband says thats in the unit and not the box..hope hes right..haha
Debbie

Old 09-23-06, 10:35 AM
Overload and Overcurrent protection are two different things.

Overcurrent protection typically comes from the panel in the form of a breaker or set of fuses. This is often much higher than the running amps of the load to allow for start up.

Overload protection is much closer set to the actual running amps of the motor or compressor. It is typically provided by fuses or starters.

In the case of the typical residnetial ac system, overload protection is built into the equimpment and does not need to be installed in the field.

Old 09-23-06, 10:37 AM
Debbie, your husband is right. Everything else that the unit needs is installed in it.

Jeff

Old 09-23-06, 02:09 PM
I'm surprised the PD didn't handle making the repairs. Around here they repair what they break.

Old 09-23-06, 02:23 PM
Talking

I'm surprised they missed the guy 3 times. They have a pistol range don't they?

Old 09-23-06, 02:43 PM
I agree

Originally Posted by CovTiger
I'm surprised the PD didn't handle making the repairs. Around here they repair what they break.
I sure wish they felt that way here in GA. We were told to get estimates and give to the Police Chief but now getting the run around from city hall, the mayor,their lawyers and the city counsel. I'm at my wits end with this.
Debbie

Old 09-23-06, 02:47 PM
Actually 4 times..

Originally Posted by lectriclee
I'm surprised they missed the guy 3 times. They have a pistol range don't they?
He hit our house 3 times and our neighbors once. Never hit the guy, they later used the tazer on him around the corner from our house. The victims advocate told me maybe this will make them get more target practice, I doubt it.
Debbie

Old 09-23-06, 08:37 PM
Thumbs up

If they hit him the first three times, you wouldn't have all this @#$% to deal with,. FOUR SHOTS!!!~ WoW. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Unfortunately "they" train these professionals. Close enough for a tazer, close enough for a clean shot.
When the city/town/county pays for it,you will have paid for it yourself. Make dirt bag Pay for it. Oh ya, Never mind.

Don't forget to vote.

Old 09-23-06, 11:02 PM
Jw

If the disconnect is being replaced would it have to comply with 210.63 and have a 120 volt receptacle either installed as an integral part of the disconnect or would the receptacle now be required if not already present?

Old 09-24-06, 04:07 AM
Originally Posted by Roger
Jw

If the disconnect is being replaced would it have to comply with 210.63 and have a 120 volt receptacle either installed as an integral part of the disconnect or would the receptacle now be required if not already present?
Every local government grandfathers code sections differently. Around here the inspector just decides.

I would say that a direct replacement of one part with same is not a new installation.

Old 09-24-06, 08:07 AM
Cool

If one government agency destroyed your property and then refused to pay for repairs, would you call another government agency to get permission to repair it yourself? Ha Ha........