Pigtail Vs. Feed-through

Old 09-23-06, 12:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pigtail Vs. Feed-through

I already understand what pigtailing is and what it does - isolates a bad outlet from disrespecting outlets downstream in a series.

Now for a tough question: I have already seen the difference in performance(less resistance, more current) of side and back wiring over back-stabs, both on single outlets and in series. Now, is there a performance difference between feeding power through outlet in a series vs. pigtailing?

I say NO - because pigtailing introduces an additonal "bridge" between added pieces of conductor. Pigtailing serves only to isolate bad receptacles in a series.

The floor is open!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-06, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I usually only pigtail the neutral on receptacles and use the screws or screw backs on the hot lead, provided there are only two. One wire - one screw. In theory it is to provide continuous neutral all the way downline just in case a receptacle gets damaged or the tab gets inadvertantly broken. I never use stab backs. I have done more repairs on blinking or non working lights due to a loose stab back than I can count.

Old 09-24-06, 09:13 AM
Smile

[QUOTE=Jackofalltradez]I already understand what pigtailing is and what it does - isolates a bad outlet from disrespecting outlets downstream in a series.

Pigtailing doesn't isolate a bad receptacle from downstream outlets. The feed thru (if properly installed) remains intact even if the receptacle is (bad) worn out.
Pigtailing is required on the neutral conductors on multiwire circuits, where losing a neutral can cause bad things to happen.
Regular 2 wire receptacle circuits don't have to be pigtailed, it's a matter of preference.
The difference in voltage drop between connections using pigtailing verses feeding thru a receptacle is negligible, and is not a consideration.
steve