Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

If a fluorscent fixture falls into water should I replace it? (Still Works)

If a fluorscent fixture falls into water should I replace it? (Still Works)

Old 09-23-06, 03:35 PM
Exclamation If a fluorscent fixture falls into water should I replace it? (Still Works)

OK I know I should Probably Throw this Light Out But I don't like throwing thing out that still work Plus I'm an electrical Safety nut so heres the story: Ok I was Feeding my Fish one day and the whole top fell in the water light and all *GASP* Yes it was still plugged in (Luckily for me and the fish to a GFCI Outlet and that Tripped and cut off power ). But I took it apart it dried it out and pluged it in to the same GFCI Outlet and it still works (Except that bulb that got wet)
This is a regulaor fluorscent fixture with a coil ballast and starter
I know with transformers (I know ballasts are simular) if they get wet that can shorten thier life span or cause a short right?

Plus I been wanting to get a brighter light for a long time and this probably gives me an excuse Thanks and sorry for the dumb question

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-06, 03:40 PM
If it still works I wouldn't worry about it. My mother recently spilled a whole cup of coffe into her cable box and the TV. Both still work by some miracle. Electronics often survive water sports so if it did then why not use it? I can't think of a reason.

Old 09-23-06, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Aaah, but computers, especially laptops, different story. My wife spilled a drink into hers, tilted it to get the liquid out, broke off the PCMCIA card. I took it apart, but had to give it a small but fitting funeral and buy her another one.
But as far as the light fixture, since the ballast is pretty well sealed, it should be OK.