Dead face GFCI.

Old 09-24-06, 08:06 AM
Dead face GFCI.

How do we connect a dead face GFCI, mostly found on a Jaccuzi tub. We wire a dedicated line from service panel to the recapticle under the tub, then extend the the line to the dead face GFCI somewhere we can reach on the wall?

They run parallel and it does not matter which one is closer to the supply?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-06, 08:19 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by lzhang
How do we connect a dead face GFCI, mostly found on a Jaccuzi tub. We wire a dedicated line from service panel to the recapticle under the tub, then extend the the line to the dead face GFCI somewhere we can reach on the wall?

They run parallel and it does not matter which one is closer to the supply?

The power for the Jacizzi should flow from the breaker panel, to the GFI and then to the receptacle mounted under the tub. You've got it backwards.
steve

Old 09-24-06, 09:17 AM
Electrically you must go to the GFCI first, and then to the tub receptacle. If you don;t have enough cable to reach the GFCI then you will have two run either four conductor cable (plus ground) between the GFCI and the receptacle, or you will need to run two two conductor cable (plus ground) between the two.

Old 09-24-06, 10:43 AM
I got you. I just check the GFCI manual. It says other recapticles downstream must attach to the load connector of the GFCI, otherwise, there will be no protection.
That's exactly what you mean.

Thanks a lot.

A follow up question, if in the old fasion wiring, there is no ground wire in the outlet box (that's in bathroom), can I change the two-hole recapticle to a new GFCI we are using today?

Old 09-24-06, 11:28 AM
With a GFCI installed you can safely use a three prong plug.

However, you generally cannot use an ungrounded circuit for a a jacuzzi tub, and you almost certainly need a dedicated circuit, which this probably is NOT.

I recommend that you run a new circuit, which is what the jacuzzi tub probably specifies in it's instructions.

Old 09-24-06, 11:56 AM
Sorry. I am talking about a different house now. The first one with Jaccuzi has a dedicated line.

The 2nd one has no jaccuzi tub. But the receptacle over the vanity has no ground and has only 2 holes. That I intend to replace with a GFCI.

Old 09-24-06, 12:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
2nd house, (we all missed the telepathy course). Yes you can change that to a GFCI rec.

1st House; you need a means of disconnect for the tub, switch or cord and plug, YOU MOST DEFINATELY need a ground for this.

Old 09-24-06, 04:19 PM
Thumbs up

Thank you all !!!