3 hot and 3 neutral wires?

Old 09-24-06, 08:46 PM
esac
Visiting Guest
3 hot and 3 neutral wires?

I am replacing the receptacles in our home, and the new ones I have bought have 4 screws + a ground screw. I've rewired these before no problem.

However the old ones seem to have a ground screw, but 3 push wires for hot and 3 push wires for neutral. Can I wire this to the new receptacles I bought? If so, how. If I pigtail them, I assume I would pigtail 2 of them together, and the 3rd one I could just attach directly without pigtailing? If so, which 2 wires do i pigtail, or does it not matter?

Thanks
Raymond

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-06, 02:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your idea will work. shouldn't matter.

Personaly, I would splice all 3 add a pigtail and ground them (rec). Make sure All splices are good and tight. Wrap the wires on the screws, Don't push them.

Make sure none of them are switched rec.. This will change the pigtail thing

Old 09-25-06, 08:52 AM
esac
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by lectriclee
Your idea will work. shouldn't matter.

Personaly, I would splice all 3 add a pigtail and ground them (rec). Make sure All splices are good and tight. Wrap the wires on the screws, Don't push them.

Make sure none of them are switched rec.. This will change the pigtail thing
If I pigtail all 3 , then that would connect to only a single screw. Is that fine? I guess last time I did this I had it easy because I just matched how the house was already wired

As for switched rec, I am unfamiliar with that. If that means they are hooked up to the lightswtich for the room, then no

Old 09-25-06, 09:53 AM
Yes one pigtail to one screw is fine. If you look at the screws you will see that they are electicall joined together by a metal tab.

Old 09-25-06, 07:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Black to brass--- White to silver---Bare to green and box if metal.