addind a new outlet

Old 09-25-06, 08:42 AM
addind a new outlet

i have an existing outlet that already has two 3 wire cables (hot, neutral, ground) in the box. the existing wires are a feed wire and then a wire that provides power to a clg fixture. i would like to add an outlet further down the wall. is it possible to add a third 3 wire cable to pull power to the outlet. if possible, how would i wire such a configuration.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-06, 09:03 AM
What is a "clg fixture"?

You are asking is this circuit may be extended. The answer depends on what this circuit supplies and where this new RECEPTACLE is located. (The proper term is receptacle. Outlet means something very different.) Please provide this information.

Whether or not you should extend the circuit is a different matter. What is this new receptacle for? What other loads are on the circuit? What size is the circuit? Please provide this information.

Extending the circuit requires that you run the new cable (of the proper type and size) into the junction box and that you connect it to the cables already there. In this case you will need wire nuts and you will have to make a pigtail. There should already be a pigtail (or two) there for the gound wire. You may be able to avoid the pigtail for the hot and neutral if this is a new back wire type (not back stab) receptacle.

Old 09-25-06, 09:13 AM
clg fixture = ceiling fixture (in this case ceiling fan)

yes i want to extend the circuit with a new duplex recpetacle from the existing duplex receptacle. i believe it is a 15 amp circuit. (dont remember) this is a typ. bedroom and the new receptacle will supply power for a tv and dvd player and cablebox. currently, the original receptacle is the only one on that wall and i am just looking to add another receptacle so i dont have to run a entension cord across the room. old house with updated serivce (200 amp) just the receptacle location leave some to be desired.