Best way to situatate wires through a new wall ?

Old 09-25-06, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to situatate wires through a new wall ?

I building some new walls in my basement. I'd like to have outlets every 4 feet or so. I will have the wires come down from the top of the wall to the first box. Then I plan to drill holes through the 2x4's to connect the other box. I've seem some walls with a 1/2 inch hole is drilled in the center of the 2x4 then the wire pulled. My simple question, is does the hole need to be in the center of the 2x2 ? I plan to have insulation on this wall and the wire will be right where I want the insulation. Can I add extra wire and bend it around the back (or front) of the insulation and then through the hole ?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-06, 11:12 AM
The hole has to be 1 1/4 inch from any face of the wall that might get drywall, now or later.

Or you can put nail plates over the spot where the hole is.

No need to cut the insulation arround the wire. Noone else does, and it does not seem to matter.

Old 09-25-06, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Jeff's correct in the 1 1/4" rule. If you don't like the idea of insulation going around that, go with spray foam insulation that will conform around your wires.

Old 09-25-06, 01:08 PM
I said drywall, but it could be any surface that needs to be screwed to the stud.

Old 09-25-06, 10:03 PM
Insulation that is compressed doesn't insulate as well as when properly "fluffed". Call me crazy, but I personally cut the insulation where the wires are...not through the kraft paper, but just enough for the batts to "encapsulate" the romex.

Of course, that may be part of the reason I am so slow. I'm only doing a room at a time, so the extra time I take is worth it to me.

Definately keep the romex in the middle...Keep it away from nails!

Old 09-26-06, 02:02 AM
chirkware,
now that you mention it, I have seen insulators slit the insulation once right where the wires are. They did not remove any fibers, (like is needed at a box) just allowed them to go arround the wires.

So to Mike,
The solutioin is not in how the electrical is run, it is in how the insulation is installed.