Electrical Baseboard Heater/Thermostat

Old 09-25-06, 04:40 PM
Unhappy Electrical Baseboard Heater/Thermostat

I recently decided to swap out my old 6' baseboard heater with a new one and to change the thermostat as well. Well I changed the thermostat about 3 months ago and finally got around to installing new heater today. When I changed the thermostat out the old heater had already been removed. (remodeling) SO today I hook up the new heater hit the power and turn on the thermostat. Great heater is working - only problem is it doesn't turn off. I think I must have wired the thermostat wrong. I have three sets of romex coming into this thermostat. SO I am thinking it is powering two other heaters besides the one in this room. THe other rooms have separate thermostats. Help I don't know what I did wrong. New thermostat is a 2 or 4 wire but I only hooked up the black wires. I was going off the instructions. Heater itself is 220V. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

T Doffek

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-06, 05:17 PM
Wink

Id say thats one you have to work out yourself.
You have to take a meter and find out what wires are the ones comeing in with the power . The 220V. You should have two lines when you read them together you get 220V that would be the ones to the tstat then out from it to the baseboard.

ED

Old 09-25-06, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure what your set up is, but you will need to use both the white and black for 220 volts. As Ed says, you will need to determine which wires are hot and which wires are load (to heater). By only using the black wires on the thermostat, you allowed the white wires to run continuously to the heater, and thereby not being affected by the thermostat. The thermostat says quit, but the white wires aren't hooked to it, so no communications to them.
Post back if I missed the mark, or let us know how it turned out.

Old 09-25-06, 07:14 PM
First, and foremost, determine what those other wires go to. it will be another baseboard heater. If you have no other heaters in the house then do not connect the other wire to anything.

Use a meter or a two wire (light) tester to determine the hot wires. They will be one pair of a black and a white wire.

Next connect that pair directly to one set of black and white wires. If the heater works then you have found the heater load wires. If the heater does not work then the other set must be the load wires for the heater.

Connect the power wires and the non-load wires to the line side of the thermostat. Connect the load wires to the load side of the thermostat.

Old 09-26-06, 01:56 PM
Thermostat

Okay I figured it out. The third set of wires go to the heater in the bedroom across the hall from this one. I metered and figured out which were the hot wires from the breaker panel. Got everything wired up and ops check both sets of heaters and they seem to be working fine. I actually took apart the upstairs bedroom thermostat to make sure I was close before I hit power. This house was built in the mid-to-late '70s and let me tell you that Cousin Fred wired everything in this house and I would be hard pressed to say he had a clue. This is why every wiring thing is a nightmare. Thanks for the help and I am on to my other two problems. Flourescent lighting and switched outlets.

T Doffek