Outlet/Switch

Old 09-25-06, 03:53 PM
Angry Outlet/Switch

I have a lighted switch that once I changed out an outlet it stopped working. It is not the switch. Once upon a time this switch controlled the top plug-in of a two plug-in fixture. I have reveiwed everything and just don't know what has happened here. A few details...there are two outlets in this line. I swapped out the second outlet. Switch controlled the top of the first outlet in the line. Now it is almost like the switch is not in the series. I have 120v on all 4 plug-ins now.

There are three sets of romex on the first outlet and two on the second outlet. The first outlet has the black wires of all three romex inputs tied in together with a jumper going from the tie in to the actual outlet. I don't know if this helps or not but anything I can learn or try I am willing.

T Doffek

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-06, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When you replaced the receptacle (ceiling boxes are also outlets), wire for wire, did you break off the tab on the hot side just as the old one was done?

Old 09-25-06, 05:49 PM
Outlet/Switch

Yes I broke off the tab on the right (black wire) side.

Old 09-25-06, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
On the first receptacle you say there are 3 wires pitgailed together and attached to the receptacle's hot side. How is the second receptacle fed? I am assuming the first receptacle is the one that is to be switch controlled. Have you identified the black wire from the switch? With all three pigtailed, I don't see how it is switch controlled on half the receptacle.

Old 09-26-06, 01:00 PM
Outlet

I have a diagram of how everything on this circuit is wired together. From the switch to the first outlet and on to the second outlet. I could scan it and attach or send if that would be more useful.

T Doffek

Old 09-26-06, 02:03 PM
good idea, you can up load them for free to photobucket.com and paste the link here.