possible short in my household wiring

Old 09-28-06, 03:08 PM
Question possible short in my household wiring

some of my electrical outlets do not work properly. I can plug a surge protector into the and get a dim light if i plug something into the surge protector the light goes out or if i wiggle the wires to the electrical outlet the light on the surge protector becomes bright but will not stay bright when i let go of the wires

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-06, 03:51 PM
You do not have a short. You have an open. Somewhere along the line a wire is disconnected. It will be at the first non-working location on the circuit or the last working location.

You must check every receptacle or light on the circuit until you find the open and then fix it. It will help if you know whether you are looking for an open neutral or an open hot. Use a plug in type tester to determine this.

Old 09-28-06, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
SHUT OFF THE POWER. Then start at the one you mentioned, If it creats a change there, you may be lucky and have found it.

Old 09-29-06, 03:44 PM
Question wires loose on outlets

i was told yesterday i had an open on my earlier question i took off the cover of the outlet there was 2 but where do they go and are they supposed to be not hooked up my light switch on that side of the room did work now it doesnt did i pull something else loose also the light switch and electrical outlets are all connected together any clue on how i remedy the no electricity to one wall of my home

Old 09-29-06, 04:06 PM
Please do not start a new thread when continuing a problem.

Also, please use punctuation and capitalization in your posts. They are difficult to read when you run on with no breaks. It also makes you look, well, like you are lazy, or worse.

If these wires were previously connected then you need to determine where they go. Provide a complete inventory of every wire, cable and device in the box. Describe wires by color, and identify which cable they come from. Be as specific as possible or you will just have to do it again. We need to know what they are connected to.

Also tell us what you know about the items in the box, such as the receptacle is supposed to be switched, or the switch control an overhead light, etc. Also tell us what room in the house these are in.

Hot wires are generally black, but can be red, or even white in special cases. These get connected to switches and to the gold terminal side of receptacles.

Neutral, or return, wires are white and get connected only to receptacles and other neutral wires.

Ground wires are green or bare copper, and get connected to the ground terminal (green screw) on switches and receptacles and get connected to the box if the box is metal.

When you attempt to put the wires back, do NOT use the back stab connections on the rear of the receptacles and switches. Always use the screw terminals. If you have cheap devices that do not have screw terminals then replace them with new ones.

Old 09-29-06, 04:14 PM
Lightbulb position for the wires

I apologize for my sloppiness. I am just frustrated. There is a black wire and a white wire not connected to anything on the outlet. It is in the bedroom. Does it matter if i put them in the top two slots or the bottom ?

Old 09-29-06, 04:22 PM
Do not put the wires into the slots. That's what caused this problem.

Attach the black wire to one of the gold screws. Attach the white wire to one of the silver screws.

Old 09-29-06, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile

DON"T want to ba a "NAG", but I'm good at it.

Did you shut off the power (hopefully so, you posted back)?

The more frustated you get, the bigger mistakes you make.
Stop, cool down, have a smoke or do what you do... Then come back.

You started out with an intermittent power issue, No?
Then you stated,when you "wiggle" the outlet in question, It got better or worse (changed). Correct?

All indications are... YOU have an OPEN/Loose ckt. at this location (properly advised).

Now; When you removed your recepticale, did you remove wires or just pull it out of the box?

How, with the power OFF, Did you reconnect the wires?
Have you made sure they are all properly connected?
If the lights worked before you disconneted this rec. It could hardley be bad advice that caused it.

Please reinspect what you removed and how it was re-terminated. Get back to us and we can help.

Old 10-11-06, 08:52 AM
Thumbs up its working now

I bought a new electrical outlet. I put the wires where i was told to but one wire was burnt and it was hard to tell if it was black or white. So I had to trace the end of it down to see. Anyway the electric is working good now on that side of the room. Many thanks to all who replied.

Old 10-11-06, 09:53 AM
If the wire was burnt so bad that you could not tell the color of the insulation, then the copper in that section of wire is likely not any good. The burnt bit of copper needs replaced at minimum. If not the entire cable from that box to the next one.