Hot switch

Old 09-28-06, 07:25 PM
Hot switch

I have a problem with a light-switch on the wall that turns off on a ceiling fan. It is not working and it is hot to the touch. The light switch only services a ceiling fan/light fixture on the ceiling. This evening my daughter found that she could not turn off the ceiling fan/light using the wall switch. We had to use the pull chain to turn off the fan/light. I plan to call in an electrician, but I was hoping someone could identify what the possible problem might be.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-06, 07:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Very well could be the switch is done. It happens, You did the correct thing useing the chain. Has the sw. cooled since?
How old is this sw.? Is it truly a fan sw.? There is a difference between dimmers and fan switches.

If your at all handy, This is a simple repair.

Old 09-29-06, 06:28 AM
Hot switch

The switch cooled off within 10-15 minutes of us using the pull chain to turn off the fan/light. It was still cool to the touch when I got up this morning.

The light switch is the old fashioned kind--toggle switch that goes up and down. (No, it's not a dimmer switch--I know you're not supposed to use a dimmer switch with a ceiling fan.) The switch and switch plate are very old and from the previous owner--my guess would be from the 60's. The switch only services the ceiling fan/light fixture--it's not a two-way switch or anything like that.

I was just curious if my problem was with the switch? Maybe the ceiling fan? I went around and checked throughout the house, and all the other switches were okay, so it's just this one switch that has a problem.

Old 09-29-06, 06:51 AM
Which Switch?

Sorry, forgot one last question.

This house has the old 2-strand wiring. Is there any special kind of switch that should be used if all you have is a black and white wire?

Old 09-29-06, 06:56 AM
The problem is the switch. It needs to be replaced. Turn off the circuit breaker powering this circuit until you replace the switch.

Old 09-29-06, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Aseret_in_MO
Sorry, forgot one last question.

This house has the old 2-strand wiring. Is there any special kind of switch that should be used if all you have is a black and white wire?
No, an ordinary single-pole switch you'll find at the hardware store will work fine (I'm assuming this is what you had in there before). There will be a green terminal on the switch for a grounding wire, but if your existing circuit does not have a grounding wire, you will not be using that terminal. Just unwire the old switch and put the new one in its place.

If this is a frequently used switch, pay an extra buck or two and go for a heavy duty switch. You'll never need to replace it again.