New service entrance conduit

Old 09-29-06, 05:08 AM
New service entrance conduit

I am going to be reframing the wall my service panel is mounted on & thought while I was at it I would replace the entire service entrance conduit. It's 200A service, (2) 3/0 & ground cable. I'd like to do this all with PVC as I don't want to deal with galvanized. What sized PVC do I need to use for these three wires? Anything specific I need to look for in a weather head? I plan on running the new stuff the same way the old was run, just down the side of the house & over a few feet & into the house & panel.

Thanks!
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-06, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the old conduit damaged? This is a pretty big job to do "just because". You'll need to have the power company come out and disconnect the service, pull a permit, have the new install inspected, and then have it reconnected. Additionally, if anything in the code has changed since the old service was installed, you will need to bring it up to date before they will reconnect.

If your local code and power company both follow NEC without ammendment, you can use schedule 80 PVC for a service entrance only if the wires are not lashed to the conduit. If the conduit is a mast onto which the cables are lashed, then you must stick with rigid metal conduit. Many power companies mandate threaded steel RMC anyway, so you'll have to check local codes with them. Three 3/0 conductors require minimum 2" schedule 80 PVC, 1-1/2" threaded steel RMC, or 1-1/2" EMT if allowed in your area.

Old 09-29-06, 10:25 AM
I would first find out whom owns the wire

In different jurisdictions the power co owns the wire to the meter and you are forbidden to touch it unless you have a permit and they are notified to come and move their stuff.