240V Problems

Old 09-29-06, 07:30 AM
Question 240V Problems

I have an old house with 60 amps service.

During my renovation, I've removed some curcuits. The problem now is that my both 240 outlets stopped working.

Both are on a double 15 amps (so I have 30) breakers. I am absolutely sure I didn't touch them at all.

When I check the outlet, I can see 120V between one wire and newtral and 120 between another and newtral. But can't get 240 between to hot ones.

So, my stove's clocl does work, but that's all.

What am I missing? Really need to fix that!

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Garry

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-06, 07:36 AM
Well, first a correction.

A "double 15 amp" means 15 amps at 240 volts. You do not add them together.

A stove at 15 amps doesn't sound right either.

Do you have fuses or breakers?

If you measure nothing between the two hot wires then they are both being fed by the same half of the incoming 240 volts.

Describe your setup and tell us what you did do.

Old 09-29-06, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Garry58
I have an old house with 60 amps service.

During my renovation, I've removed some curcuits. The problem now is that my both 240 outlets stopped working.

Both are on a double 15 amps (so I have 30) breakers. I am absolutely sure I didn't touch them at all.

When I check the outlet, I can see 120V between one wire and newtral and 120 between another and newtral. But can't get 240 between to hot ones.

So, my stove's clocl does work, but that's all.

What am I missing? Really need to fix that!

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Garry
Sounds like both of your live lines are in phase with each other, in order to get 240 you need two 120 lines 180 out of phase. You may have switched one of your lines for the wrong phase.

Old 09-29-06, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
Well, first a correction.

A "double 15 amp" means 15 amps at 240 volts. You do not add them together.

A stove at 15 amps doesn't sound right either.

Do you have fuses or breakers?

If you measure nothing between the two hot wires then they are both being fed by the same half of the incoming 240 volts.

Describe your setup and tell us what you did do.
I have breakers. On the panel, two of those are kind of combined together with a small bridge that says "30".

So, I checked the cables to my 240 takes hot wires from those breakers - which makes sense for me.

The thing is - it did work before.

I suspect may be it was some loose connection inside, which changed from vibration (I am doing some reno)...

But how come that BOTH 240 stopped working at the same time??? They are on different curcuits!

I do have some knobe-and-tube wiring connected to other curcuits, can that cause the problem?

Old 09-29-06, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Kick-It-Up
Sounds like both of your live lines are in phase with each other, in order to get 240 you need two 120 lines 180 out of phase. You may have switched one of your lines for the wrong phase.
But that happened on my both 240V receptacles at the same time... Can that be?
How do I switch it back?

Old 09-29-06, 08:26 AM
Smile

If you have fuses in the main power feeder from the meter, one of them being blown will cause you to lose one 120V leg. This will cause the loss of your 240 and also any of the single pole circuits that are on that leg.
If you have fuses, check/change them.
steve

Edit to add; If a fuse is blown, you need to find out why it happened. It's possible that ou created a short circuit during your renovation.

Old 09-29-06, 08:44 AM
Now that you mentioned that - probably I DO have fuses. I have a main switch then - meter - then my breaker panel.

There are fuses in that main switch box. Can those be operational? They are BEFORE the meter, so I thought they are not functional anymore.

Old 09-29-06, 09:27 AM
I suspect that you have a problem in your circuit breaker panel and that one half of the panel is out. The 120 you are reading on the "out" side of each 240 breakr is because current is flowing through the device.

The other possibility is that you have a GE panel and you incorrectly moved the 240 volt breakers so that they are picking up the same half of the panel.

I suggest that you turn off your main breaker and call an electrician NOW.