Dryer Outlet

Old 09-30-06, 08:30 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dryer Outlet

After reading this forum all morning....I have a couple of questions....

I just bought a new dryer from Sears.....

The outlet I have right now in my wash room is a NEMA 10-50 outlet connected to a 40AMP breaker. (Which doesn't make sense to me either but after reading the forum this morning, this is OK, since this is the only outlet on the wire.)

My question is can I replace this outlet with a NEMA 10-30 outlet?
(I'm thinking the answer is NO! And I will have to have someone come in and rewire everything and install a new breaker and wiring and all that.)

Old 09-30-06, 10:07 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
first, since the wire is (or at least should be) properly sized for a 40 amp circuit (due to the 40 amp breaker) the wire is more than large enought to use for a 30 amp circuit.

Code requires the circuit to be no greater than 30 amp if you are using a 30 amp rated recep. Since the wire should be fine (post the size to be sure) other than changing the recep, you would need to replace the 40 amp breaker with a 30 amp breaker.

If you are capable of doing so yourself but need some direction or advice, feel free to ask.

do youreally need the 30 amp recep. I don't do much residential work but it seems most dryer receps are 40 amp.

Old 09-30-06, 12:53 PM
R
Dryer circuits in the US are 30 amps.

You can only convert this circuit to a 30 amp dryer circuit if the circuit contains FOUR wires. All new circuits for dryers must be four wire. While one could argue that the circuit already exists, and that you are simply changing the breaker and the receptacle, this still implies a new circuit.

Old 09-30-06, 01:20 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'll be darned. I went and looked at mine and it is a 30 amp.

Thanks Bob. Like I said, I claim ignorance on some of the resi stuff. I really muffed this one with the 4 wire as well.

NEMA 14-30R (receptacle) and 14-30P (plug on the whip) are what you need.

I agree with Bob concerning the "new" circuit situation as well. If the current conductor run isn't 4 wire, you do need to change that as well. #10 awg (or larger) is correct sizing for the wire.

Old 10-01-06, 06:41 AM
J
Thanks Guys! I figured this is what the answer would be! But I didn't want to be the one to tell myself the bad news!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: