Converting pendant light into outlets

Old 10-01-06, 05:23 PM
Converting pendant light into outlets

Hi All!

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and offer some insight to my problem. As my title states I am converting a ceiling mounted pendant light in the center of my kitchen into electrical outlets that are attached to a circular aluminum plate.

The wire situation is this. Your typical 2 black wires, 2 white wires, a single uninsulated wire (ground) and then a single red wire. I still want the outlets to be able to switch on and off.

I've hooked the black wires on the left terminals (if you were looking at prong insert face) and the white two on the right terminals. The uninsulated ground is on the bottom threaded screw.

I believe the red wire relates to the switch, where do I screw it in on the outlets?

Thanks so much for all your help!
Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-06, 05:38 PM
First things first.

Please describe these RECEPTACLES. (Outlets is NOT the right term to use, and adds to the confusion.) Os this something homemade? Something you bought? If this is not UL approved, then do not use it. Period done.

However, if it is legit, then you need to connect it up to the same wires that the original pendant light was connected to. That most likely is the red wire and the white wires, with the black wires connected together with a wire nut. However, that could be wrong.

I guess the answer is no, but I'll ask the question anyway. Did you make notes of how the pendant light was connected before you removed it?

Old 10-01-06, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The most probable situation you have is the red wire is the switched hot from the switch. This would attach to the brass colored screw. The whites would connect to the silver colored screws. The blacks would stay capped and not connected to the receptacle.

Have you made any changes to any splices while removing theold fixture? Do you have any sort of electrical testers?

Old 10-01-06, 05:48 PM
Thanks for responding Bob,

The recepticle was a home depot purhase.

You are right when I removed the light the two black wires were attached together with a wire nut. The 2 white and the single red wires were all also attached together with a wire nut. The bare ground wire was screwed to the wall of the aluminum electrical box.

I apologize as I don't know how to be descriptive as possible since I don't know all the verbage.

Eric

Old 10-01-06, 05:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just curious, Why receptacales in place of a light? On the ceiling? again if not listed and tested, I would not use it.

Old 10-01-06, 05:52 PM
The red wire attached to the white wires does NOT make sense to me.

Why don't you examine the wiring at the switch. Do not disconnect anything at the switch, just see what wires are connected to it, and what other wires are in the box and what they are connected to.

Old 10-01-06, 06:10 PM
I'm an art professional renting an apartment in a historic neighborhood. I'm attempting to spruce up the feel of the kitchen as the previous pendant lamp shed awful light.

I've got 2 IKEA light sockets with a plug on the opposite end that are inserted into antique milk bottles after I etched the inside of the glass. It gives a nice glow and and a more historic feel to the whole kitchen.

Onto the switch...
Inside the box there are 2 blacks that are together with a wire nut. A 3 inch piece of black wire is also attached to the wire nut on one end and the bottom right terminal on the switch (right side). The two white wires are attached with a wire nut. The single red wire is attached to the upper terminal of the switch (right side).

Thanks again everyone.

Old 10-01-06, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That sounds cool.

So in the ceiling, if this rec.ring thing has wires, connect the black from the fixture to the red in the box, the whites together and the bare/green wires to the bare/greeen wire.

If screw terminations: red in the box to the brass screw, whites to the silver screw and green/bare to the green screw. reinstall the switch.

Please do this with the power off.

Old 10-01-06, 07:18 PM
Thanks Lee!