Replacing a nema 10-50 with a nema 10-30

Old 10-01-06, 11:01 PM
Exclamation Replacing a nema 10-50 with a nema 10-30

I, like v1rok, just purchased a dryer from sears. I am just moving into a new rental home and the owner told me there was an outlet for the dryer. The dryer I purchased requires either a nema 10-30 (3 wire) or nema 14-30 (4 wire). Since I knew the home had old wiring the sales rep recommended that I order the unit requiring the 10-30--which I did. I then went to the new home checked out the outlet and made the discovery that it was a 10-50 range outlet. Next I proceeded to the local Home Depot to check into getting a replacement that suited the dryer. Anyway, to make a long story short, I now have a nema 10-30 outlet and a dryer to be delivered next week. If I have read the posting here correctly, I believe that I can simply replace the 10-50 with the 10-30 and then check the circuit breaker to make sure it is a 30 amp and if not then replace the existing one with a 30 amp.

I have some limited experience with wiring and am comfortable with doing this myself if it will in fact both work and be safe. I sure would appreciate any comments!

Also, switching to a gas dryer would be an option since there is a connection available.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-06, 05:23 AM
You are renting. You can do nothing to the receptacle. Contact the owner of this place and have him hire an electrician to do the work. Doing this yourself would be foolish, and quite probably illegal.