Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Want to rewire my garage door openers and garage lights together.

Old 10-02-06, 07:22 AM

How can I accomplish this?

Rather than have my garage door openers turn on the weak lights that are incorporated into the openers when activated, I want the garage door openers to use the main lighting in the garage.

If the light switch in the garage is OFF and one or both of the doors open, the main garage lights should come on for the 5 minutes, then turn off, like the garage door opener lights work.

If the lights in the garage are already ON because the light switch is on and one or both of the doors open and the 5 minutes pass, the main garage lights should stay on until I turn off the light switch.

Of course I don't want the action of the garage doors to be dependent on the light switch in the garage.

I have two independent garage door openers and flourescent lighting throughout my garage that is controlled by two three-way switches.

Anyone make a gadget that does this, or have a fairly simple way to wire it so I can do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-06, 07:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know, there's no "approved" way of doing this. While you could in theory wire the garage lights directly into the door opener, it would be against code at best, or maybe dangerous because of wattage, etc.

I'd suggest an alternate solution though - install a motion activated switch to control the garage lights. When it detects motion, it turns the garage lights on for a specified period of time (5 minutes) and then shuts them off. Of course they also have an override switch on them to turn them on when you're working in the garage.

http://www.smarthome.com/2523i.html

Old 10-02-06, 09:03 AM
You can use an occupancy sensor system to do what you want, this is a very good one.....
http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/catalogpages/section-d.pdf

You can have lights on auto or overide lights off with 3 way switches.

Wiring diagrams are incluced in this above link.

Roger