wiring of linked undercabinet flourescent lights

Old 10-02-06, 12:49 PM
Question wiring of linked undercabinet flourescent lights

Hi,

Thanks for any advise. My electrical person bailed on me and I've several projects in need of completion before month end. First on the list: I've installed three linking undercabinet lights and now have a normal cord with plug. I'd like to cut off the plug, fish the wire through the wall and wire it to a nearby outlet, so I can use the switches on the lights and not have cords hanging. Is this OK to do? The bulbs are only 17 watts each, and the cord is very basic. I did do a project once and can recall there's a wider part of the 2-section wire and I think it was + and the other - , and it sounds as if the biggest deal would be fishing it through the wall to the back of the outlet box, but I'm a bit skiddish when it comes to this sort of thing and would appreciate your help. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-06, 01:02 PM
No, this is not allowed. It is not acceptable. It is dangerous.

If these lights are designed such that they can be hardwired then you could run a proper cable to them, but NOT from a kitchen receptacle. The cable would have to run from a lighting sircuit or from some general purpose circuit.

To correct a misconception you have, electrical cords for alternating current (AC) devices do not have a positive and negative. AC is not positive and negative in the same way that DC (direct current) is. AC has a hot wire and a neutral or return wire. The hot wire is both negative and positive. The voltage is a sine wave. That'smore than you probably want to know, so just refer to the wires as hot and neutral.

Old 10-02-06, 01:16 PM
Smile

Thank you! I guess that takes care of that project!

Old 10-02-06, 01:21 PM
Also, that type of flexible cord is not permitted for concealed wiring. You can't run it behind walls, in ceilings, etc. You have to use a wiring method approved for such locations.

Old 10-02-06, 08:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All above is accurate.

However, any ideas why?
#My electrical person bailed on me #

Old 10-03-06, 05:43 AM
Group Moderator
The experts will be the final arbiters of what is right but if the lights you have can't be hard wired and you can't return them I'd suggest a receptacle inside each cabinet where there is a light. You could drill a hole a bit larger then the plug in the bottom of each cabinet to access the outlet.

It would be best to run a new circuit but you might be able to tap an existing lighting circuit depending on access and load already on it.

Old 10-03-06, 03:36 PM
Smile

Thank you all for your help. On to next project!