Do all wires need to be stapled coming into box?

Old 10-04-06, 11:11 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do all wires need to be stapled coming into box?

If a Romex cable is coming through a hole in the middle of a stud directly above a receptacle box (1/2 inch or less) does it need to have a staple on it before entering the box?
___|_|__wire
      |  |[] box
     | | <--stud
Hole is where the wire goes through on my micky mouse little drawing (I couldn't get the lines for the stud to line up vertically after many edits). It seems the cable would be secure unless pulled so my common sense says it would not need a staple but that doesn't always follow the NEC rules. My guess is it needs the staple but I guess I'm just hoping not for ease of my wiring

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-06, 11:17 AM
G
I'd put one there. It'll keep the wire from accidently getting pushed back out of the box, and into the wall cavity.
Another way would be to put in a box that lets you clamp the wire where it enters the box.

Old 10-04-06, 11:38 AM
J
The wire needs to be secured within 12 inches of the box. That device (staple etc) can be on the other side of the stud if it is within 12 inchs measured along the cable of the box.

I cannot remember, so I am trying to look up, if a romex connector or some other type of clamping device internal or external to the box can count as this support.

Old 10-04-06, 03:43 PM
K
Does the box's clamp count?

If you find the answer can you post it jwhite?

Old 10-04-06, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Even going through a hole is considered "secured", so if you put a staple within 12 inches on the other side of the stud, you will be OK, but placing one above the box will give you double protection. It depends on whether you are looking for minimum requirements or common sense solutions. Do the minimum and enhance it to make you feel warm and fuzzy.

Old 10-04-06, 04:07 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Cable fastening

NEC 2005, article 334.30

Old 10-04-06, 08:59 PM
M
Thanks all for help on this - I know it was really basic in a way and I should know after building a house myself but almost 20 years and a bit of age makes the memory a bit fuzzy. I found a place under construction locally and see how it's normally done. Most staple above the box within 6" or so. BTW can Romex 12-2 or 14-2 take a bend going pretty much straight down after coming through the hole in a stud - i.e. is there any code on the radius of bend you can do with that kind of wire.

Old 10-04-06, 09:28 PM
The inner diameter of the bend is supposed to be 5 times the diameter of the cable. This normally isn't an issue if you dont' pull the cable real tight where it turns after coming through a hole