60 amp panel question

Old 10-05-06, 09:59 PM
Jason T
Visiting Guest
60 amp panel question

I have an older three car detached garage with its own electric service which is 60 amps. The panel is very old circuit breakers and it is fed through a fused disconnect. My question is, Does anyone still make a 60 amp main breaker panel that I can replace my existing setup with so I don't have to change my service entry cable or meter base and put a 100 amp service in my garage?

Jason.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-06, 02:27 AM
Yes you can buy a 60 amp panel, or use a 100 amp panel and a 60 amp main breaker.

However you cannot safely change out a main panel without calling the utility company to disconnect power while you are doing the work.

If this is a residential detached garage, then it does not need to be upgraded to 100 amps. If your load calculations for this building are less than 60 amps you can have a 60 amp service. The 100 amp minimum rule, on the national level, is for dwelling units.

Old 10-06-06, 07:54 AM
Jason T
Visiting Guest
So they do make a 60 amp main breaker for a 100 amp panel. Thats good news. I was just going to pull out the meter base so there is no power to the garage while doing the work, Is that OK? 60 amp is plenty for the application because all I really want to do is have lighting and receptacles and run a small 120VAC air compressor.

Thanks for the reply,

Jason

Old 10-06-06, 08:37 AM
NO You CANNOT pull the meter out yourself. It is dangerous, and illegal for you to do anything to that meter.

Call the utility and ask them to come unhook power or pull the meter for you. Most places this service is free of charge, but it does take an advanced notice, and you will need to have an inspector call them before they will turn power back on.

I have know of experienced utility lineman being hurt while removing or putting back a meter. One was in critical condition in the hospital because the meter shot at him like a rocket and the glass from the meter had gotten into his vital stuff. This is NOT a DIY process.

Call the utility and have power secured by the pros. They make it look so easy

Not to mention you can get a huge fine or go to jail for breaking the utility companies meter seal.

Old 10-17-06, 10:04 AM
60 amp panel question

Who makes this 60 amp master breaker/load center box. Been trying to find one. Or a 100 Amp box that can have the 100 Amp Main breaker removed and a 60 Amp installed in its place.