Disconnecting service

Old 10-06-06, 03:43 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Disconnecting service

Is there anyway I can disconnect my service? It's supposed to be a great weekend here & I have to tear open my house. Not too sure how many nice weekends we are going to have left so I really want to get this done this weekend. Yesterday I left my electric company a voice mail that I needed it turned off, but if for some reason he doesn't get back with me or get it disconnected, is there anyway I can do it? They told me they needed 24 hours notice last time. Which I did. I heard of people pulling their own meter, but my Dad said he thinks this is illegal. Which, illegal & anybody actually doing anything about it are two different things.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-06, 04:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Dan, aside from it being illegal, it is very dangerous unless you have done it before. If there is any load on the meter, there will be a flash when you pull it.
How much "tearing" out will you get done in one weekend? Couldn't you just turn off the main breaker and avoid the area where the entrance of the main power is until they can pull your meter or as we do, drop it at the pole?

Old 10-06-06, 04:23 AM
D
I am reframing the exterior wall that my main panel is mounted on, & reframing the roof above, so I really can't do anything until I get the panel out. I plan on getting everything tore out & reframed & sheathed tomorrow. So I guess I can get a lot tore out in one weekend. I could support the panel somehow I guess, but it'd just be a huge pain & take a lot of extra time. I'm replacing all the entrance conduit too, so I'll definitely need it disconnected for that.

Last edited by stickshift; 10-06-06 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Removed quoting of entire post
Old 10-06-06, 06:57 AM
J
I have to strongy advise against trying to disconnect the panel yourself, or trying to somehow temp hang live electrical wires and equipment.

I want to very strongly urge you to wait till the utility company can come make the job safe to work on.

Old 10-06-06, 07:12 AM
D
The guy called me back & they can make it out there to disconnect it today. I wasn't real fond of the idea of disconnecting it myself unless it was pretty simple to do.

Thanks for the advice! On with the project as scheduled!
Dan

Old 10-06-06, 01:02 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thumbs up

it'd just be a huge pain & take a lot of extra time.#

If something did go wrong, and it does from time to time.
If you got hurt, think of the "PAIN".

And then the lost time, Months or years. Explore and consider the consiquenses. Your dead forever.

Glad it all worked out. You call, they will come.
It seems they enjoy letting you hang!