old house.... newer 200Amp panel... addons

Old 10-06-06, 12:23 PM
old house.... newer 200Amp panel... addons

Bought a fixer upper. it was rewired in the 50's with 12 g 2 starnd no ground wire.

in the late 80's the fuse box was repaced with a 200 amp breaker box and a few new circuits were added. The work looks professional with clamps on metal boxes and covers on junctions. All properly stapled.

I am in the middle of a major kitchen bath remodel and am afraid that when I have the work inspected that they will require all the old 12/2 be replaced with grounded wire. the 12/2 is primarilly used for ceiling lights and a few outlets in LR, and Bedrooms.

Is it a concern or would I be grandfathered in?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-06, 12:30 PM
Only the kitchen and bathroom are subject to today's codes. ANything done in the 50s would not be required to be grounded.

However, any circuits that serve the kitchen and bathroom(s) being remodeled need to be up to date. That means kitchen and bathroom lights, for example.

Old 10-06-06, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Kitchen and bath are being totally rewired. Just didn't want to spend a few grand on the other 4 circuits.

Old 10-06-06, 01:13 PM
The cost to do the other work should be incremental,i f yiuare doing it yorself.

You an also likely sell the old wiring as scrap.

Old 10-06-06, 01:37 PM
It isn't the wire costs it's the foot thick brick walls. There is no way to fish them. That and I'm getting too old for attic work.

Thanks again.