Timer on subpanel

Old 10-08-06, 06:18 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Timer on subpanel

I need to add a subpanel to service my outdoor holiday lights.

I would like to put a timer on the subpanel so that the entire panel is timed.

I am removing my existing breaker for my pool filter from the main, and replacing it with a 100amp to service the new sub panel (my box is full)

I need to install (4) 20amp GFCI breakers that will each service a section of my lighting. These will be used at holiday time only. I am using the individual GFCI breakers so that if I do have a problem I do not lose my entire holiday display. I will also be putting my pool filter breaker in the sub. (the pool filter will never run at the same time as the lights)

Can I use a double pole 40amp timer to time the whole thing ?

Am I off in thinking I can go from my 100amp main - to the timer - to the subpanel ?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-06, 06:41 AM
R
If you only want and only need 40 amps at the sub panel, why use a 100 amp breaker in the main panel AND wire or cable rated for 100 amps? I think you will be hard pressed to find a 40 amp timer that can handle 100 amp wires. This would not be good.

Old 10-08-06, 06:42 AM
J
sounds like a good plan in theroy. It may take some time to come up with the parts.

Old 10-08-06, 07:37 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Am I missing somehting here?

Is the OP considereing controlling a 100 amp circuit with a 40 amp rated switch?

If so, it's no go. The switch has to be rated at whatever the circuit may carry. What happens if you put in a couple more breakers. What happens if the NEXT owner of the house doesn't understand what you have?

Make the contactor equal to or larger than the POSSIBLE current draw across it.

Another suggestion:

get a 20 amp 4 pole contactor and a timer controller and run the Christmas light circuits through that. That leaves the panel hot for the filter at all times and you could even run a control circuit so you could overide the timer manually from a remote location if desired.

Old 10-08-06, 07:51 AM
J
on my first read, I missed the part about the 100 a breaker.

No you cannot run 40 amp timer on 100 amp circuit.

I know we put in lighting panels all the time, but I am not sure if you can get a 100 amp panel in single phase.

There are many different ways to achieve the rusults that the OP wants, and I have probably installed most of them. From a contactor box to split buss panels timer switches photo cells and combinations of all of the above.

If this were me I would install a 100 amp sub panel then run the curcuits for the seasonal lights to a seperate box and install contactors. Then I would run to a photo eye and time clock to control the coils of the contactors.

Old 10-08-06, 02:18 PM
F
Thanks !!

I do already have a 100amp Subpanel ready to install. I was looking for an easy or less expensive way out.. Looks like there really isn't one.

Actually I just wanted all my light to go on and off at the same time.

Would simply running 3 timers between the outlets for the lights and pool filter make it simpler ?

4 light outlets @ 20amps each running on two 40amp timers & 4 20amp GFCI breakers

1 20amp pool filter on its own timer.

Old 10-08-06, 02:37 PM
R
You will not be able to use four 120 volt 20 amp GFCI breakers and two 240 volt 40 amp timer. The GFCI breakers will trip.

You could use two 240 volt 20 amp GFCI breakers and two 240 volt timers 40 amp timers if you wish. This would be a multiwire circuit, and you would have observe some cautions. You could separate to two circuits each at the timers.