Fluorescent Fixture

Reply

  #1  
Old 10-08-06, 07:54 AM
knanuk's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 59
Fluorescent Fixture

Yesterday the fixture in the laundry room went out and there was a burning smell coming from it. I shut the switch off and the smell subsided.

Any ideas as to what it may be -- or should I get an electrician. Not too swift on anything electrical - and to tell the truth I am frightened of electricity.

Thanks
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-08-06, 08:02 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 1,623
Is this a fluorescent light?

Most likely the ballast went bad. You can either replace the ballast or entire fixture. Often replacing the entire fixture is cheaper than the cost of replacement parts plus the fixture.

If you are not comfortable with working on electricity, then you should not work on it yourself.
 
  #3  
Old 10-08-06, 08:02 AM
nap's Avatar
nap
nap is offline
New Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: north
Posts: 4,163
If it was the florescent fixture that was emitting the smell, it is more than likely that the ballast went bad.

They have a nasty smell sometimes when they burn out.

First thing, it's good to admit your apprehension with electricity. It obviously can be deadly.

Now the repair can be done safely but it would depend on you to be able and willing to understand how to do it. It is actually quite simple to replace a ballast and with the power off, there is no chance of harm short of getting your finger cut on the metal.

Let us know if you want to consider it and we'll help where we can.
 
  #4  
Old 10-08-06, 08:08 AM
knanuk's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 59
Thanks for the help/advice.

The fixture is about 15 years old and most likely I would replace the whole thing. The 4 ft. 2 bulb fixtures are not very expensive.

I would appreciate any help you can give me regarding replacing the whole fixture.

Thanks again
 
  #5  
Old 10-08-06, 08:20 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 1,623
nap
I found that post funny, because I cannot go on a lighting job without getting a nasty gash on one of my hands before the day is out.

I have taken to buying cheep 99 cent gloves to wear while installing the fixtures.
 
  #6  
Old 10-08-06, 08:32 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 1,623
kanuk
If you are at all handy with other things arround the house you will have no problems with doing this.

First be sure you turn off the power to the circuit at the electrical panel. It is most likely on the same circuit as the rest of the lights in that area of the house.

Open up the light fixture, remove the lamps, then remove the wiring cover. Carefully untwist the wire nuts keeping the seperated and when you have the feed wires exposed test them with an electrical tester to be sure that they are infact turned off. You may want to turn the circuit back on for just a few seconds so that you can see your tester is getting voltage while the circuit is on, then turn the circuit back off and watch the voltage go away.

Be sure to note were all of the wires from the fixture are hooked up on the old fixture. Take notes or pictures if needed. Avoid trying to leave this part to memory.

If the old fixture is hung with toggle bolts, you will need new ones cause you will loose the toggle part in the ceiling when you take the old fixture down.

Remove the old, replace with the new, and wire it back exactly the way you find it. I would also suggest new wire nuts. I like the tan ideal twister kind.

Post here when you are done, or if you have any questions during your project. We will be glad to help you with anything that you may find.
 
  #7  
Old 10-09-06, 12:40 PM
knanuk's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 59
Next time we go into the city will get the fixture and make an attempt to replace it , keeping in mind the things mentioned.

Will let you know how it is going at that time.

Thanks again
 
  #8  
Old 10-19-06, 03:53 PM
knanuk's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 59
Well, we were in town yesterday and checked at two locations for the fixture.

It is 4 ft. by 9 1/4 in. -- it is on a painted ceiling and hoping to avoid matching the paint.

No luck in either -- they did not seem to have anything even near 9 1/4 in.

Will try other stores when back in town.

Meanwhile I will give my wife a candle for when she goes into that room -- that should go over well !!!!

Take care
 
  #9  
Old 10-20-06, 08:57 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,767
Why not just replace the ballast, if a suitable replacement fixture cannot be found?
 
  #10  
Old 10-24-06, 03:24 PM
knanuk's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 59
Checked two big stores in town today and nothing the same size.

Guess I will have to go the the ballast route.

Can anyone offer any advice on doing this?

Also I do not have a "meter" to check of there is "live" electricity in the wire so will have to buy something -- any suggestions. I d ont intend to be doing any electrical work other than this tryp of thing.

Any help that can be offered will be greatly accepted.

Thanks
 
  #11  
Old 10-24-06, 03:39 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,767
Get an analog meter. Or shut off the main.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'