Tails To CU Question and lighting

Old 10-08-06, 12:52 PM
Tails To CU Question and lighting

I am just in the final stages of an extension and the meter box is soon to be moved. The problem is that the new position of the meter box is about 15 metres from my consumer unit and I really dont want to be moving that!! What is my workaround if one? Do I need to put a 100A switch between the meter and the consumer unit? Are there any switches that would fit into the meter box with the meter?

Also one other question is what are the regulations for downlighters. I have bought fire compliant ones, but what would the final inspection on the house say about the gaps I would need to leave in the loft insulation for he downlighters?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Neil

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-06, 01:17 PM
tell us what country you live in. Most of our users could not answer this question relyably. Me included.

Old 10-08-06, 02:01 PM
I am based in United Kingdom

Old 10-09-06, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry Neil, but this forum can only answer specific questions for the U.S. and Canada. The electrical regulations are very different in the U.K., so please consult with a local electrician before following any of the advice here.

I can give you some general comments about your project based on U.S. code, which might help steer you in the right direction. I would install a meter/main combo box at the new location and feed your existing main panel (consumer unit) as a subpanel off the new meter/main. Also whenever a meter is moved, the new location must be approved by an engineer from the power company prior to construction. This is the type of job that should be done by a licensed electrician.

> regulations for downlighters...gaps I would need to
> leave in the loft insulation

We have recessed light fixtures that are rated for direct contact/burial in insulation which require no gaps; I suspect that you have such devices available in the U.K. as well. Fireblocking around electrical openings is accomplished with a fire-rated caulk.