Heat Tape

Old 10-08-06, 07:24 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Heat Tape

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions concerning me using an extension cord for my heat tape that I plan on using under my trailer? I read the directions on the heat tape and it specifically said not to use an extension cord. I don't have an outlet in the area under the trailer where it freezes. I do, however have an outdoor outlet about 15 feet away. The guy at the Electrical/Plumbing store sold me a heavy duty air conditioner cord. Now I'm guessing air conditioner cords are made to be inside? Maybe he didn't realize I planned on plugging it in outside? Should I buy an outdoor heavy duty extensin cord? I'm just concerned because the guy who sold me the cord said he burnt his trailer to the ground when he was younger using heat tape under his trailer!! Any suggestions/ concerns would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance! Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-06, 08:41 PM
Extention cords are not premitted to be used as FIXED wiring....running it under the trailer in my mind would attempt to make it permanent wiring and cord wiring can't be used in that manner.

Now you said you dont have an outlet in the "AREA" but that leads me to believe you have "A" outlet under the trailer....so with that said I would think of extending that receptacle to your NEEDED location before I resorted to the extention cord method.

Also using the heat tape in a method against the directions of the manufacturer is also a problem.....they say do not do it for a reason.....

Old 10-09-06, 04:15 AM
R
Return the extension cord. You don't want to use an extension cord. It's not up to code and dangerous.

Depending on what else is on the same circuit as the existing receptacle, either extend it to where you need it or run a new circuit.

Old 10-09-06, 06:07 AM
U
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by racraft
Return the extension cord. You don't want to use an extension cord. It's not up to code and dangerous.

Depending on what else is on the same circuit as the existing receptacle, either extend it to where you need it or run a new circuit.
Thanks! I kinda figured the extension cord was a bad idea! Jack

Old 10-09-06, 07:26 AM
R
As ElectricalMan stated, extension cords are not permitted for permanent wiring. They are for temporary use only.