Mounting recepticle on side of base cabinet

Old 10-10-06, 06:23 AM
Mounting recepticle on side of base cabinet

The spot that I want to put my refrigerator has a pocket door cavity directly behind it, so I can't place an outlet box directly behind the frig. I want to mount it in the cabinet next to the frig. I assume this would be just like installing an outlet box in an island, but how exactly do i go about it? Can I just drill a hole int he back of the cabinet & run unprotected NM inside the cabinet up at the top to the box or does it have to be BX?

I hope that was clear & makes sense.

Thanks!
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-06, 08:37 AM
I am not aware of any requirement to protect wire in a cabinet from physical harm. If there is such a requirement, BX or MC cable do not provide said protection anyway.

However, I would not want that wire unprotected in a cabinet at my house.

If it were me I would do one of two things.

First is to purchase a metal old work box with 1/2 inch knock outs. I would secure the box to the cabinet with number 6 wood screws through the holes that are in the top and bottom brackes on the old work box. Then sleeve the romex in conduit back to the point where it enters the cabinet.

Second is to run the romex up from the floor behind the fridge and use a surface race way and box to install the outlet.

Old 10-10-06, 08:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is somewhat of a grey area. In my opinion, the NM cable would be just fine without additional protection; ultimately it's the inspector's call if you're having this inspected. If you do want to protect the cable, I would sleeve it in a short piece of EMT conduit from the floor/wall to the receptacle box.