Outdoor Receptacle

Old 10-10-06, 07:36 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Receptacle

I want to mount an outdoor receptacle on a brick wall of my residence.
Is it ok to run NM cable through a bored hole in the brick and into a weatherproof box,or do I have to run pipe through the wall?
Is NM cable OK or should I use UF.
I am aware that the receptacle needs to be a GFCI type and that the box needs to covered with an in use cover.
I am just not sure if I can run the cable into the back of the surfaced mounted box.
Thanks for any help I can get.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-06, 08:22 AM
R
If you are mounting a box on the surface of the brick then I would not use NM. Water will get behind the box and could damage the cable. At the very least I would use UF. Most probably I would extend conduit into the wall and through it and then run UF through the conduit, although this is NOT needed.

To avoid running UF indoors, I might install a box inside to convert NM to UF before it leaves the house. Although if it were simple enough, I would just run UF from the source location.

Last edited by racraft; 10-10-06 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 10:19 AM
D
Caulking the hole

What if I seal the hole that the UF cable goes through with caulk before mounting the boxover it.
Would this be acceptable?.

Old 10-10-06, 10:27 AM
J
If you chizzle out the brick and mount the box so that the front of the box is flush with the outside surface of the house, then technically the romex never leaves the dry location and you do not need the UF wire.

If you mount a surface box then you need the UF wire because it is in a damp or wet location.

I would then calk the box on three sides to prevent water from getting behind the box, and allow any seepage if there is any, to escape the bottom.

If you want to squirt some calk in the hole where the Uf comes out of the house, go ahead. It will neither help, or hurt the installation.

Old 10-10-06, 11:16 AM
F
Bob, if you extended conduit into the wall, why would you also then need to use UF? Seems like one or the other would meet the requirement.

Old 10-10-06, 11:48 AM
J
fuente, If you run romex into a damp or wet location in conduit or out, it is still romex in a wet location.

I agree that the conduit is not needed. The proper cable is.

Old 10-10-06, 12:35 PM
F
are you referencing 334.12(B)(4)? If so, I guess it would have to be up to the inspector to determine what is 'excessive moisture or dampness' is.

For me, I used romex thru a rigid nipple to a surface-mounted weatherproof box. Caulked the hole the romex went thru and sealed the gap between the box and the outer wall with silicone.

Passed inspection.