dead plug

Old 10-10-06, 02:50 PM
dead plug

Returning from a weeks holiday, my microwave didn't work. I simply plugged it into another outlet and all was fine. I guess the plug just stopped working?....strange. Assume that replacing it will rectify the problem. Wonder what happened?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-06, 03:04 PM
Replacing the RECEPTACLE (receptacle is the proper word) may or may not solve the problem.

Is this a dedicated circuit? Did you check the fuse or circuit breaker? Is there anything else on the circuit that works or does not work?

If the problem is not the breaker or fuse, then it could be a loose wire at this receptacle or at any other location on the circuit. A plug in type tester will help you determine if a wire is loose somewhere.

Old 10-10-06, 03:42 PM
thanks for the FAST reply....will do!

Old 10-10-06, 06:19 PM
A microwave on a countertop might be plugged into a GFCI-protected circuit. Do you have other receptacles in the kitchen that have buttons on them for testing and resetting? One may need to be reset.

Old 10-10-06, 06:25 PM
thanks Mac702...nope, it's wall mounted to a standard plug on a shared circuit I believe....

Old 10-10-06, 07:38 PM
I would have guessed Mac was on the right track but it is possible your home was wired before gfci was required for the kitchen countertop receptacles. Have you tested like racraft asked? What are your results? If you look in the receptacle box (power off of course) and see any red wires ...stop...and let us know you may be working with a multiwire circuit.

Roger

Old 10-11-06, 03:02 AM
thanks Roger, the house is around 8 years old, I had an old one last with red wires and got several 'bumps'. I haven't had a chance to do anything yet. The circuit breaker box is not specifically identified, so I am leary, afraid of electricity. I'll be careful and use a tester. I'll report my findings. Thanks to all!

Old 10-11-06, 09:58 AM
Look for hidden GFCI recepticles.

Old 10-11-06, 09:59 AM
This receptacle could also be fed from another GFCI receptacle. I would check the other receptacles in the kitchen for tripped GFCI's. I am under the assumption that this microwave is plugged into a countertop circuit.

Old 10-11-06, 03:00 PM
...actually it's mounted above the stove and as a vent, the plug runs up the back and theres a receptical mounted on the back wall of a cupboard....no GFIs

Old 10-11-06, 05:45 PM
Ok makes sense there are no gfci's. I also thought that it was plugged into a countertop receptacle.... which are gfci protected if house is only 8 years old.

What we need to know is a test for voltage at the receptacle.

It is very possible this is a dedicated circuit with only the micro-wave on it but you need to map your branch circuits and be able to identify what breaker controls each branch circuit. Then make an index you can reference.

Test for voltage with one of these, and let us now what the tester indicates is the problem.....

http://www.elexp.com/tst_9610.htm (copy and paste)

Roger

Old 10-11-06, 06:29 PM
will do...got a tester for christmas...I'm so pathetic...it's a good one...what do i stick in what to test and what do i set it to?

Old 10-11-06, 07:41 PM
If it is a digital voltmeter set it to ac volts with the black lead in the common terminal hole and the red lead in the V or volts hole usually red colored. Didnt it come with instructions....HA!

Test the small slot (hot) to the "D" shaped hole (ground)....dont get your finger on the bare probes of the tester when you do this.... then test slot to slot. Use the below site and photos for reference. Top left picture of 5-15R Red probe in right slot, black probe in "D" shaped hole. Then move black to larger slot on left leave red where it is. If no voltage testing small slot to ground "D" hole then your hot wire is open or bad connection to receptacle or something else on another part of the wiring run from panel breaker or breaker is tripped. If you have 120 volts then test slot to slot if no voltage then your (white wire) is open or poor connection somewhere.

http://www.evenheat-kiln.com/technical/recept/recept.htm

Roger

Last edited by Roger; 10-11-06 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 07:50 PM
If it's a digital volt meter, I suggest that you put it away and don't use it.

If you insist on using it, ignore any reading that is not about 0 volts, 120 volts, or 240 volts.

Old 10-12-06, 03:38 AM
thanks guys...I'll give this a whirl on the weekend when I can turn off the power and still see...you have all been top drawer with the help!

Old 10-14-06, 08:38 AM
replaced the plug and there's still no power?????

Old 10-14-06, 08:59 AM
What did you get for your voltage tests?

Old 10-16-06, 02:11 PM
okay....here's what happened. I got an electrician in....the basement sump pump is on the same line as the microwave. The sump motor seized while I was away and tripped the breaker. I did check all breakers and reset, but until the sump kicked in the breakers would stay put.

anyway...I need a new sump and the electrician put in a dedicated line.

thanks again for all your advice!!!!!!!!!