Another dead plug problem

Old 10-11-06, 09:40 AM
Unhappy Another dead plug problem

I'm new to the forum, so please be "gentle" with me! I have the same problem with a dead plug in one of my bathrooms. There are other outlets and lights on the same breaker that are working properly, but this one just stopped working yesterday. I replaced the receptacle, but it still doesn't work. I used my tester to check the current on this outlet and it is dead. Where do I go from here?
Thanks,
jscott03

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-06, 09:53 AM
Please start a new thread for a new problem.

Check ALL the other lights and receptacles on the same circuit.

At one of the other locations on the circuit there is a wire disconnected.

Replacing the receptacle was a shot in the dark, but was probably a waste of time and expense. If you use a receptacle tester and/or a two wire tester and determine if the HOT or NEUTRAL is missing, you can simplify your checking.

Since this is a bathroom, the problem could be a tripped GFCI receptacle. Do you have GFCI receptacles in your house? Are any of them tripped?

Old 10-11-06, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
...Since this is a bathroom, the problem could be a tripped GFCI receptacle. Do you have GFCI receptacles in your house? Are any of them tripped?
This would also be my first suggestion. Especially look in all other BATHROOMS, even if in an entirely different part of the house.

And you have a dead receptacle, not a dead plug. The plug is on the hair dryer. The receptacle is in the wall.

Old 10-11-06, 10:25 AM
I would lay money on a tripped GFCI.
Depending on the age of your house, sometimes bathrooms, garages, and outside receptacles were fed from a single GFCI receptacle. This receptacle could be located in the garage, basement, bathrooms, kitchens, and exterior recetpacles. Check all of these places and test and reset any GFCI's you find. Look very carefully in the basement and garage. It seems like those pesky GFCI receptacles are always hidden behind the bigest pile of boxes and such. I suggest that you plug a radio turned up loud into the dead receptacle so that you can hear when the receptacle is "resurected".

Old 10-11-06, 11:12 AM
Another dead receptacle problem

Thanks for your help and next time I will know to start a new thread. Unfortunately, we don't have any GCFI receptacles in the house. It was built in 1971. We've never installed any and I'm certain the people who lived here before us didn't either. I went through the entire house and this is the only receptacle not working (even checked the receptacles outside). Any other thoughts?

Old 10-11-06, 12:31 PM
I already told you what else to check. Check every other location on the circuit for a loose connection.