Heavy-up for new resturaunt

Old 10-12-06, 01:26 PM
Heavy-up

I saw a related topic so i thought i'd post here rather than start a new thread...If need be feel free to move my post..

OK so my wife and i are trying to open a restaurant bar...The building is maybe 80+ years old and the general contractor says we need a heavy up...After talking with pepco they say a min of 2 months and more like 6?

Is this the standard and can we get by on 100 or less? or is there more power there that an electrician can open up to us... I hate the idea of sitting there with the place ready to go waiting for months for pepco...

Specs if needed...2 beer coolers a stereo reciever one 27 in TV 12 to 15 25watt bulbs 1 refridgerator 1 freezer...fryer and grille should be gas....

In any event the whole process has taken too long already and now we may have to wait on the power company?...Oh and i didn't even mention heat or AC....

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-06, 02:16 PM
Hardkor,
I did move your post to a new topic. The subject of your problem is a bit different from the other, and the other was way old.

I have to wonder where you are from that you would have such a long waiting list for this upgrade.

You did not post enough detail to make an accurate load calculation for your building. I would hesitate to do one over the internet for fear that things could be easily missed without walking the building myself to have a look.

Just off the cuff, from your description I would say that you are on the very edge of having a 100 amp service be large enough. However there could also be local codes that require a larger size for a business. My guess is that if the contractor is saying that the service needs to be larger, then they are probably right.

While I understand that you are frustrated having to carry this financial burden, you would be alot worse off if something bad happened and the cause was found to be inadiquate electrical capacity.

An electrician cannot do anything to create more electrical power, that is done at the power plant. The electrician's job is to insure that the wireing is the right size ect to insure that your building is safe.

I wish I could give you more positive answers, but I see this as having two options. Get the POCO there faster, or wait.

Old 10-12-06, 02:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have completely wired several small to mid sized, private and corporate restaurants. I would not even consider running even a small restaurant on a mere 100 amp service.

Imagine tripping a main in the middle of a busy Fri night......

Who is Pepco and why are they over 2 months delayed?

Old 10-12-06, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like your list of equipment is missing some stuff.

What about HVAC, ventilation in the kitchen, exterior lighting and signage, dishwashers, disposals, icemakers, coffee pots and soup kettles, warming lights, etc...?

I think if you start adding stuff up you'll find that 100A is inadequate for even a small restaurant.

Old 10-12-06, 03:32 PM
NO exterior lighting and signage, dishwashers, disposals,coffee pots and soup kettles, warming lights, etc... We will however have HVAC i think i mentioned that at the end and maybe an ice machine...We could always buy bags in the mean time...

In any event my point is can we get by until the heavy up...Going an entire year after the purchase of the building legal fees and more is more than we can bare finacially or mentally...

By the way we are in Washington DC...I know all cities have issues but DC government is horrible and Pepco the local power company has to go through the city which is going to take a good chunk of time......

Thanks for the fast relies BTW

Old 10-12-06, 03:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A small detail but an ice maker may be mandatory by the Dept of Health. It is in my area.

Again, it is very hard to say if you can get by for several months. Possibly yes, maybe no.

I would say get the ball rolling NOW. Maybe it will happen sooner than you think.

Old 10-12-06, 04:00 PM
hardkor,
I gotta wonder how you will get water up to high enough temp without a dishwasher?

Aside from that I do not believe that your GC is just pulling your chain. I know you are concerned, and looking for other options, but there is no way for us to give you any better advice than he/she already has.

One thing to consider is if they (the city) would let you rent a generator. You could divert some of the load to it while you wait for the service upgrade. Just a thought.

We all feel for you, and we know this is hard, but we also believe that things will work out, if you refuse to loose site of your dream, and hang in there.

Old 10-12-06, 04:11 PM
Yeah water temp isn't a problem..A lot of bars and restaurants use 3 compartment sinks NOT diswashers..Ice machines are not required in The District of Columbia..I should carify..We are Bar 1st restaurant 2nd...So we will have a very small menu..using a small grill and 2 slot fryer....Not real dishware to clean and glassware will be done @ the bar...

Thanks once again for the fast response and the support...

Old 10-13-06, 08:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> In any event my point is can we get by until the
> heavy up.

You may be able to make this argument to the building and/or electrical inspector given the incredibly long wait time for the power company. They may be able to grant you a 6 month variance or extension, especially if the actual load calc is close to what you already have.

Old 10-13-06, 09:09 AM
You could rent a generator for a few months and stay off the grid completely. A 50kW prime gen would give you 200 Amps, and shouldn't be all THAT expensive- probably abound $600-700/month. A smaller 30 or 40kW unit would likely suffice for your requirements, too, and you won't run into any restrictions regarding code minimums. Fuel bills would cost, but if you'd lose less money doing it this way than waiting 6 months to open....

You might even consider buying one outright and keeping it on hand should the power ever go out in the future

Old 10-13-06, 01:02 PM
Not even sure where i would put it,The backdoor goes directly into an alley...The roof would be the only available space...This is a great website by the way...Very helpful crowd..Thanks