Bare wires

Old 10-12-06, 03:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bare wires

I have found a wire in my houses eletrical system that looks like it has been stripped bare (the insulation is gone) It looks like it goes from my attic to the outlets in my kitchen, but then again I'm not an electrician so I'm not sure), my question is do I have to replace the whole wire or is there a way to repair it (IE insulate it with some sort of cover).
Also how hard is it to change out a breaker switch, I've got one that needs to be changed from a 30 amp breaker to a 15 amp breaker, the inspector tells me that this is a fire hazard because the breaker wont trip if the wiring overloads.
Help, anyone?

Old 10-12-06, 03:48 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Some wires are supposed to be or are at least allowed to be bare. Without knowing what the type of wire or cable this is and what its purpose is, I can't really offer any advice as to what should be done.

Except for a few circumstances, there is no way to repair a damaged wire. If this wire is supposed to be insulated, the only legal remedy is to replace the damaged length back to appropriate junction boxes.

Changing a breaker is not a difficult job, but it does require working inside the main panel where certain components are live. If you are not comfortable with that, then by all means hire a professional. The first step is to identify the make and model of the panel and find a replacement breaker that is listed for use in your panel; this could be a special order for older panels. The replacement goes something like this:

1) Turn off the MAIN breaker.
2) Remove the panel cover.
3) Unscrew and disconnect the wire from the target breaker.
4) Pull the breaker out; sometimes it just "leans" out, sometimes you will have to loosen a screw and pull it out.
5) Insert replacement breaker in the opposite way the old one came out.
6) Attach existing wire to new breaker.
7) Re-install panel cover.
8) Re-energize the MAIN.

Old 10-12-06, 03:57 PM
J
Thanks

Thanks for the help with the breaker box seems pretty easy, but that stripped wire worries me, what about cutting out the bad section (it's only like a foot long and easy to get to) and splicing it with a new section of wire, is that an option?

Old 10-12-06, 04:37 PM
J
is this one single conductor like was used in knob and tube, or a cable like romex? it matters.

Old 10-12-06, 04:55 PM
J
Single, knob and tube type.

Old 10-12-06, 05:04 PM
J
this type of wire can no longer be repaired, for good reason. it has gone beyond its expected life and repairs would be unsafe.

you need to have an electricain come evaluate what all needs to be re-wired. from what I have read, it is at minimum a good part of your kitchen.

Old 10-12-06, 05:14 PM
J
Thanks

From what the inspector told be about the house, it was the only knob and tube type line in there still live, everything else has been updated.
Thanks for the help, I guess I calling an electricain!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: