thermostat & heater breaker question

Old 10-12-06, 06:48 PM
thermostat & heater breaker question

I am a little confused with the wiring of a baseboard heater (240V) with a double pole thermostat. The first question is: do I use a 20amp double breaker or single breaker?
If I do use a double breaker then I attach the black and white to the breaker, and the ground, but then there is no white(neutral) attached in the panel?? Doesn't there need to be one?
If this is correct, then the black and white(which is now hot) just attach to the thermostat and then to the heater.

What if I use 12/3 and then use the black and red as hot. But then what would happen to the white once you get to the thermostat and then the heater?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-06, 06:55 PM
A straight 240 volt load does not have or need a neutral.

Your baseboard heaters are straight 240 volt breakers.

You need a double pole breaker for 240 volts. Connect the black wire to one pole and the white wire to the other pole.

If you use three conductor cable (plus ground) then you wasted your money, but you can still use the cable. Use the red and black wires, and leave the white wires unconnected (but capped) at each end, just tuck them to the back of the box or out of the way.

At the thermostat the two wires get connected to the "input" terminals and the cable to the heater gets connected to the "output" terminals.

Old 10-12-06, 07:04 PM
One more problem

Thanks, I get it now, but there's a problem.

What if I want to use this line for one light as well as the baseboard heater. the light would come before the heater.

To wire the light Don't I need a black and white?
Can I use the 12/3 (I already bought it) connect the black and red to the breaker and the white to the panel(neutral) and then connect one black and the white for the light and then cap the white so it doesn't continue to the heater/thermostat??

Old 10-12-06, 07:37 PM
I'm not an electrical expert by any means, but I have done enough work to know I don't think what you're asking to do would be up to code.

I know that electrical wire is expensive nowadays, but do yourself a favor and just run a 2nd circuit for the light. Or, is there another circuit nearby that you can tap into (electrical outlet, light, etc.) ?

Old 10-12-06, 08:34 PM
No. You cannot put a light on a baseboard heater circuit. Put nothing but baseboard heaters on this line.