GFCI Woes

Old 10-14-06, 12:51 AM
Angry GFCI Woes

So here's the story. I moved into a condo (built in '96) and one of the bathroom GFCI's wasn't working. I went to replace it and found that there were two cables (each with one black, one white and one ground) with both sets on the line side of the GFCI. I replaced the receptacle in the same manner and now the indicator light is on, but the receptacle won't reset. I determined which set of wires were the true power-carrying wires and put those on the line side with the other set on the load side but I still have the same problem. There's power to the receptacle, but the GFCI won't reset and I don't know what else to trouble shoot from here. I tried buying a new GFCI in case the other was defective, but I get the same results. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-06, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
New GFI devices will act like this if there is a miswire, and to be honest, there is not much else it can be.

Be sure you are on the LINE terminals with both cables (since that is the way it was), and be sure white and black are in thier proper holes.

Old 10-14-06, 05:33 AM
Try connecting just the LINE (power) wires and see if the GFCI will reset. If it does, then you have a problem on the LOAD side, which you will have to find and correct.

Old 10-14-06, 05:59 AM
Thing is Bob, this is happening with wires connected only on the line side. Even a down stream fault will not trip the device.

Old 10-14-06, 06:07 AM
Speedy you're right. My brain is a little slow this morning.

Old 10-14-06, 06:10 AM
One thing I should have asked. Is the reset button going in and popping back out, or is it not going in at all?
The former would be a bad GFI IMO. The latter would be a miswire.
I think by process of elimination we can rule out the former since he has tried two new units.

Old 10-14-06, 04:07 PM
I can push the reset button in and the light will go off, but it doesn't catch.

If this is a miswire, what's the easiest way to go about finding it? Locating all the receptacles on the circuit and checking the wiring? What should I be looking for? Since I just moved in, I don't know the repair history of the condo. But some receptacles and GFCIs have been updated to the "decor" style so I guess I could start there.

Thanks for all the speedy input.

Old 10-16-06, 02:21 PM
Never use force ...

Have you tried the GFCI with only the supply cable attached to it?

Be sure that you have pressed the reset in quite firmly. It takes more pressure to reset the newer ones then it did the previous versions.